For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

"Loss is above tolerable limit"

I performed a D-Port test on the ISL ports between our 6520s and on one of the ports I got the following result from portdporttest --show:

Roundtrip link latency: 1322 nano-seconds
Estimated cable distance: 101 meters
Buffers required: 1 (for 2112 byte frames at 16Gbps speed)
Egress power: Tx: 0.6 dBm, Rx: -2.7 dBm, Diff: 3.3 dBm (Loss is above tolerable limit)
Ingress power: Rx: -0.4 dBm, Tx: 0.0 dBm, Diff: 0.4 dBm (Loss is within tolerable limit)

What does "above tolerable limit" mean in this context? I don't get any errors on the port, so is some sort of action required or not?

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: "Loss is above tolerable limit"

Rx power = -2.7 looks good to me, but D-Port thinks that your link is a little dirty. Do you have any patch panels along the way or is it just straight SFP-cable-SFP connection? Anyway, you might need to clean it a little bit to improve the results. Sometimes even re-seating the cable into the SFP (and/or another connections) is already enough.

Occasional Contributor

The connection is something like SFP-cable-connector-cable-panel-cable-panel-cable-connector-cable-SFP. So I take it in this case no action is required?
Contributor

Well, yes. Rx down to -4 dBm should be OK. BTW, did you try doing D-Port test from the opposite side? It might give different results.

Occasional Contributor

Yes, all my test results were identical from both sides.

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.