For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Urgent:I have got new SAN768B-2 switches . Switch showing "COld Recovered " when we run Hashow .

HI ,

I have multiple SAN switches SAN768B-2 . All these are new Switches to be configured. I have set the domain id and also upgraded the firmware from 7.3 to 7.4 recommended code. The switch is up & running
but when i run the hashow , it shows with "Cold Recovered"

switch:admin> hashow
Local CP (Slot 6, CP0): Active, Cold Recovered
Remote CP (Slot 7, CP1): Standby, Healthy
HA enabled, Heartbeat Up, HA State synchronized

Where as my old existing switch shows ..with Warm Recovered ..

switch:admin> hashow
Local CP (Slot 5, CP0): Active, Warm Recovered
Remote CP (Slot 6, CP1): Standby, Healthy

Please let me know why the new switches showing as " COld Recovered " And how we can fix it if this an issue.

Broadcom Moderator

Re: Urgent:I have got new SAN768B-2 switches . Switch showing "COld Recovered " when we run Hashow .

Hi,

after the next HaFailover, the new switch will show "Warm Recovered" - "Cold recovered" means that it was either booted up / powered on, or a "failover" failed from the previous active CP blade. 

So, it is totally natural that your new switches shows "Cold Recovered"  after power-on. 

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Re: Urgent:I have got new SAN768B-2 switches . Switch showing "COld Recovered " when we run Hashow .

THanks Martin.

Can  i do the failover manually and get it "Warm Recovered " As the switches are completed new there is no zonning except the ISL between the switches and coupel of IBM Storage devices are connected which are again new.

So can we change the state from Cold Recovered to Warm Recovered Manually ? Or we wait for the next Hafailover ?

Broadcom Moderator

Hi,

yes, you can do a haFailover (run command on active CP) to force a failover. And then state will be warm recovered.

kind regards,

-martin

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Sir,

I have one more query..I did switch upgrade on one of my other new switches with same version as previous , the firmware upgrade is successfull but now when i run hashow , i see the active CP has changed from CP0 to CP1 with "Warm Recovered" .  I just want to know why it has changed the active CP from CP0 to CP1 ?  Where as before the upgrade the active CP was CP0 and standy by CP was CP1 . 

Is it normal again ? or need to change the control processor to CP0 as like before ..?

The current switch status Output below ..

F101_BD114_21:FID128:admin> firmwareshow
Slot Name       Appl     Primary/Secondary Versions               Status
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
  6  CP0        FOS      v7.4.2c                                  STANDBY
                         v7.4.2c
  7  CP1        FOS      v7.4.2c                                  ACTIVE *
                         v7.4.2c
F101_BD114_21:FID128:admin> hashow
Local CP (Slot 7, CP1): Active, Warm Recovered
Remote CP (Slot 6, CP0): Standby, Healthy
F101_BD114_21:FID128:admin>
F101_BD114_21:FID128:admin>

F101_BD114_21:FID128:admin> fabricshow
Switch ID   Worldwide Name          Enet IP Addr    FC IP Addr      Name
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1: fffc01 10:00:c4:f5:7c:b8:35:1d 10.220.2.34     0.0.0.0        >"F101_BD120_25"
 21: fffc15 10:00:c4:f5:7c:ce:74:28 10.214.2.169    0.0.0.0         "F101_BD114_21"
 22: fffc16 10:00:c4:f5:7c:c4:75:e2 10.215.4.193    0.0.0.0         "F110_BD125_22"

Broadcom Moderator

Hi,

as par of firmwaredownload to your director, once the standby is upgraded, we will (ha)failover to the standby which will become active and then we will upgrade the old active. So, as par of the firmwareupgrade (complete), the state of the standby (before upgrade) is changed to "warm recovered".

So, it is normal, and to be expected as a hafailover is part of the upgrade (when upgrading the chassis and both CP).

kind regards,

-martin

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Sir,

So shall i keep the CP1 as Active Controller ? And CP0 as StandBY ?  As this is production environment , and we will be zonning all the devices to these switches slowly .

Will there be any issue in future ?  OR shall i do manual failover to CP0 as active contoller and CP1 as Standby ?

Contributor

It doesn't matter which CP is active.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot Sir.  I got excellent support from you , Much Appreciated.

Occasional Contributor

Hello Sir ,

Today i did hareboot of my new switches and it came up with CP0 as active and CP1 as Standy..

F101_BD114_21:FID128:admin> hashow
Local CP (Slot 6, CP0): Active, Warm Recovered
Remote CP (Slot 7, CP1): Standby, Healthy

what i wanted to check , is does running this cmd hareboot cause other problem ..when there is host/devices zonned and we are doing the firmware upgrade ?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.