For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

The difference between ifHCOut/InOctets MIB object for gex and VEx

Hello we are measuring FCIP transfer rate by polling the subject MIB objects every 5 minutes and calculate the delta (devided by 300secs). .An FCIP tunnel VE16 involves only one circuit on ge0 in our configuration so I thought that  ifHCOut/InOctets for VE16 and ge0 would be the same but these objects for ge0 always show higher  transfer rate than those forVE16 in our installation  and here are my questions:

Q1.  Why (in our installation) ge0 has higher transfer rate than VE16?

I am coming to assume that the transfer bytes at VE level dooes not take accouunt TCP/IP headers while the transfer bytes for ge0 does take account these headers.  Can somebody endorse me or explain?

Q2.  Sometimes I see the calculated transfer late (for VE)  is over 1GB/sec that cannot happen as we use 10GbE (i.e., 10Gbps hence 1GB/sec for 8B/10B)  we would like to know the reason for that.

An examplle of actual calculated value is about 1.07GB/sec which is too big to quote 'it is within an error range at the given interval'....   

Many thanks in advance!!

External Moderator

Re: The difference between ifHCOut/InOctets MIB object for gex and VEx

@hgpark

excepted you don't have Gen6 SX6 Extension Blade, where all features are enable in FOS 8.x by default;

can you please specified the type of hardware and license ?

is a FX8-24 Blade or 7840 ?

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I appreciate you for the prompt response on this topic.

My apologies for not including hardware/license information.

Our installation uses SAN06B-Rs(or 7800s) which is:

•  Running at 7.4.1d level of FOS
  • Activated licenses include:
    • Enhanced Group Management
    • Fabric Watch license
    • 7800 Upgrade License

We do *not* have or use advanced extension license..

Hope the above helps understand our installation.

Thank you!!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

My apologies but I took the interface wrong..  As we are using SAN06B-R(7800), the network interface is GbE and NOT 10GbE so the Q2 above should read::

------

Q2.  Sometimes I see the calculated transfer late (for VE)  is over 100MB/sec that cannot happen as we use GbE (i.e., 1Gbps hence 100MB/sec for 8B/10B)  we would like to know the reason for that.

An examplle of actual calculated value is about 107MB/sec which is too big to quote 'it is within an error range at the given interval'....

------

Again, sorry for the confusion that might have caused.

Thank you!!!

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.