For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Spread Flash Storage ports over as many port groups as possible?

Hello,

Switches 6210-48 ports 16Gb SFPs
Is there an advantage to spread the Flash Storage Ports over all Portgroups, also taking into account the spread over all 4 VC channels? ( best practices ? )

pgrp 1 ports 0-7 Vc 2 3 4 5 -  5 2 3 4 5
pgrp 2 ports 8-15 Vc 2 3 4 4 5 - 2 3 4 5
pgrp 6 ports 40-48 Vc 2 3 4 5 - 5 2 4 5.

OR

Whether all 8 Flash storage port on one Portgroup is equivalent to the one described above. ( best practices ??)
pgr1 port 0-7 Vc 2 3 4 5 - 5 2 3 4 5 connected all the 8 storage ports.

Reason for the question, My migration ( old to new switches)  design mapping sheet is more readable and executable!

Thanks

Ivo

Frequent Contributor

Re: Spread Flash Storage ports over as many port groups as possible?

Sorry I didn't get two differrent ideas that you are trying to explain in your post. Anyway, here is what I can say about the VCs:

VCs provide some sort of traffic isolation inside the ISLs. Do you have ISLs in your fabrics? If not, then any special arrangements of the VCs are rather useless.

Otherwise, it might make some sense. VCs play role in distribution of TX traffic. So, if one of the VCs with some traffic that goes towards the flash array will get stuck, there's a chance that other traffic that is being TX-ed towards different ports of the same array will continue to run.

Note that TX to the array is mainly "write" commands from outside. Therefore, "reads" from the array will not be "tuned" by distributing the VCs of the array ports, because "read" responses would choose their VCs based on the ports where these packets are going to (i.e. normally host HBA ports).

Frequent Contributor

Occasional Contributor

I mean , spreading the 8 Storage ports over the different port groups (6) in the 6510 (one asic switch)

OR

all 8 storage ports in the same port group ( example port group 1 with port 0 1 2 3 - 4 5 6 7 )

Is there a difference in performance ?

I don't find a recomendation about this connectivity in the Best Prac paper?

Occasional Contributor

I mean , spreading the 8 Storage ports over the different port groups (6) in the 6510 (one asic switch)

OR

all 8 storage ports in the same port group ( example port group 1 with port 0 1 2 3 - 4 5 6 7 )

Is there a difference in performance ?

I don't find a recomendation about this connectivity in the Best Prac paper?

(Of cource, the other 8 Storage ports to the second 6510)

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

@ivo.depover

the Port group in 6510 are related to Trunking.

6510 is a Single ASIC Switch, from apoint of view of Traffic there is no difference if Storage Port's are in the same or different group.

hope that clarified you request.

BTW. Gen5 Platforms such as the 6510 are not the tailored Pratforms for Flash Storage, for tis reason you should consider a technology refresh with Gen6, in example Brocade G620

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

thank you !

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.