For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

SDM
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

SAN Switch Licenses for assets not under Brocade support

Reviewing a log for issues which could require replacing a 6510 though no errors seen after "Kernel Panic" and reboot.

Would like to know:

If a switch fails and is not under support with brocade, Replacement switch needs to arrive with same licenses on a switch for it to be useable?

Known License keys from the possibly failing switch can be transferred to replacement switch which is not under support with Brocade?

Do I need to contact Brocade to install or activate a license already installed on a replacement switch not under support with Brocade? 

Thank you

Frequent Contributor

Re: SAN Switch Licenses for assets not under Brocade support

Brocade support or an OEM will have to do a license transfer.

SDM
New Contributor

Appreciate the explanation and sorry that I need further explanation but,

And when you say transfer, this means if I have a failed switches license information (Key/s), Brocade or an OEM will need to transfer them between this failed switch and a replacement switch even if a replacement switch has the correct license/s already installed and active on it?

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

Hello @SDM

you wrote follow:

--->>>If a switch fails and is not under support with brocade,.....

The main Question is:

where you purchase the defective Switch ? and is a Maintenance Contract Active for this Switch by any OEM ?

The procedure is:

If yes, the OEM is responsable to Transfer the License from Defective Switch to NEW Replacement Switch.

If the Defective Switch is NOT under Support, as you wrote in your First Post, then you cannot Transfer the License.

TechHelp24
SDM
New Contributor

I thank you for the explanaton and support.

Though this switch shows a Brocade PN and SN it is not under support as mentioned so no license transfer allowed.

Have seen no other errors since initial "Kernel Panic" and reboot. Only see "I cache parity" in logs as a possible suspect to error. Do not see any related Defect for FOS 7.41b on the switch.

Best to you and thanks again.

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.