Fibre Channel (SAN)

Peer Zoning design question

Hi guys,

I've got a storage array with 8 FC ports in total. 4 FC ports are connected to Fabric A and the other 4 ports are connected to Fabric B.

Fabric A = 1x Brocade Gen 5 switch running FOS 8.1.2b

Fabric B = 1x Brocade Gen 5 switch running FOS 8.1.2b

I also have around 50 ESXi hosts with 2 HBA ports each. One HBA port is connected to Fabric A and the other HBA port is connected to Fabric B.

Each ESXi host should have 8 paths per LUN.

Questions:

1 - Should I create 4 Peer Zones per fabric each containing 1 FC storage array port as a principal device + 50 ESXi hosts as nonprincipal devices?

2 - Or should I create only 1 Peer Zone per fabric containing all 4 FC storage array ports as principal devices + 50 ESXi hosts as nonprincipal devices?

Does anyone see any issues/concerns with the approaches above?

PS: I plan to use only aliases as peer zone members and I won't use Target Driven Zoning.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it

Contributor

Re: Peer Zoning design question

I've never used the peer zones, but as far as I understand the idea behind, you only need to create a single zone per fabric in your current setup.
Regular Contributor

No, you need to create a single zone per target and desigate the target-port as master. FOS will adjust the cam tables to only allow frames from and to the master port to any of its zoned initiators but the initiators will not be able to see eachother.

See here: https://erwinvanlonden.net/2015/12/time-to-rethink-your-zoning-strategy-peerzones/

Kind regards,
Erwin van Londen
Brocade Distinguished Architect
http://www.erwinvanlonden.net The Fibre Channel blog

Q&A -> https://hackhands.com/elo/

-------
Contributor

So, is it possible to include a number of targets in a peer zone? In a "clustering" use case where a number of initiator HBAs need to see a number of the same target ports?

I heard this is quite possible... Any target will see all the initiators but wouldn't see other targets. Likewise, any initiator will see all the targets but wouldn't see other initiators. I just didn't have a chance to check this in the real life...
Contributor

Hello Alexey,

based on Admin guide for FOS 7.4.x it should be possible

In a Peer Zone setup, principal to non-principal device communication is allowed, but non-principal to non-principal device
communication and principal to principal device communication are not allowed.

So i didnt see problem to use multi intiator and multi target zone in this situation. 

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.