For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Noob Setup 6505s

Hey there helpful folks.  I'm the proud new owner of a pair of Brocade 6505 switches.  These are looking like Brocades but say Connectrix/Dell on t hem, but they're brocade 6505 16GB FC Switches.  It's been quite a few years since I've deployed these and that was in a non-HA environment.  So I'm wondering if anyone can help me get them deployed by answering a few questions.

The environment:

A single SAN with two storage controllers(SPs), each with 2 connections.  So each controller will have a connection to each FC switch.  So let's say SPA goes to FCA-Port 0 and FCB-Port 0, and SPB goes to FCA-Port 1 and FCB-Port 1.  Does that sound reasonable? 

There will be 4 hosts connecting, each with dual HBA ports.  So each host will have a connection to each switch, yada yada yada.

Shoudl the switches be in the same fabric or logically separated? 

Is zoning still necessary or are these new switches auto zoning things?

I've downloaded and installed the network advisor product but haven't figured out how to push both switches into the same fabric.  If I do have them in the same fabric, do they need a direct connection between the two of them?  If so, how's that work?

Thanks!

Joe

Occasional Contributor

Re: Noob Setup 6505s

I just got a pair of 6505s to replace our aging Brocade 300s.

Very similar environment, single SAN (dual controller, each controller has a HBA with two FC ports), 3 hypervisors on the front-end and obviously two FC switches to connect everything up.

The way I plan to do it is stick to our previous design, which is to create two fabrics and run each FC switch in standalone mode.

This way you have fabric redudency.

I was looking at enabling ISL between the two swithches and have a single fabric, but as I read more into it I think it reduces redudency because now you have a single fabric and if there are issues/misconfigured fabric, it applies to both switches. Having two fabrics segregated is a win in this case.

I am no switch expert but just wanted to throw that out there.

Occasional Contributor

Curious did yours come with the FOS 8.x firmware? Seems like this is fairly new firmware and I question how "stable" it is for mission critical production stuff.

New Contributor

They're running v7.4.1d.

New Contributor

Thanks!  It helps to know that's a viable and/or even recommended option.  It's easy enough to manage with the included software and that network advisor tool, but I want to make sure I'm implementing it in an optimal method and haven't read much in the admin guide about creating a single fabric or not.

Thanks again,

Joe

New Contributor

So I take it that on a single FC you created a zone for the SAN which would be 2 ports, one from each controller. Then a zone for each host which would be 1 port, assuming there's 2 FC connections per host.  So if you had 3 hosts you'd have 4 zones.  Then you add those 4 zones to a zone config and save it, enable it, and duplicate that setup to the second FC?  Just making sure. 

Other than DNS, NTP, Syslog, etc., any other overhead settings or changes made?  Other than changing the default passwords, of course!

Thanks again,

Joe

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.