Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Newbie question, used brocade300 not plug-and-play...?

Hello,

We bought a used brocade300 switch which we were assuming would be good-to-go out of the box.... Meaning, connect multiple fibres into it and everything just works. That is not the case though, I have a server (connected to the switch) that cannot see its LUN on a SAN (that's also connected to the switch). There seems to be a laundry list of zones created on the switch, could this be the problem/ should I just delete them all? What else could be the problem?

Thanks.

Highlighted
External Moderator

Re: Newbie question, used brocade300 not plug-and-play...?

@yetti

plug and play, is a magic word for a Windows Box, and no for SAN Switches.

you have to made a lot of config in the switch included zoning

if a config is present in the switch you have to delete it, for a simple reason the WWN not matching the WWN in you environments.

TechHelp24
Broadcom Moderator

Re: Newbie question, used brocade300 not plug-and-play...?

Access the switch via telnet or console(serial).

If you don't care about the existing config on the switch/fabic run; cfgtransabort, then cfgdisable, then cfgclear, then cfgsave. Note; this will delete ALL zoning info on all switches in the fabric. 

See the Brocade Fabric Admin guide for your FOS version from the documentation tab of my.brocade.com for information on zoning. Your switch should now be able to 'see' all connected F ports. It is good practice to use zoning to isolate groups of devices in zones: Zone_1: Server_1 --> StoPort_1; Zone_2: Server_2 --> StoPort_2; etc. Not doing this often allows a mishmash of multi-host or multi-initiator problems.

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.