For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

New Topic : Brocade switch showing port link failure .

Hi Antonio ,

I have one of the switch port , where host HBA is connected is showing as offline  from host and also from switch end and it also show port link failure in porterrshow cmd .  Below is the log and error output from switch and Linux host.

Could you please tell me where is the issue , it has to be fixed urgently . To be its probably either SFP or cable issue but i need a confirmation so that i can get it fixed with customer .

F110_BD114_20:FID128:admin> porterrshow 4/25
           frames      enc    crc    crc    too    too    bad    enc   disc   link   loss   loss   frjt   fbsy  c3timeout    pcs
        tx     rx      in    err    g_eof  shrt   long   eof     out   c3    fail    sync   sig                  tx    rx     err
185:  120.0m  73.8m   0      0      0      0      0      0    204     73      3      0      3      0      0     73      0      0

F110_BD114_20:FID128:admin> portshow 4/25
portIndex: 185
portName: slot4 port25
portHealth: ERROR

Authentication: None
portDisableReason: Port Invalid Words threshold exceeded
portCFlags: 0x0
portFlags: 0x4021        PRESENT U_PORT DISABLED LED
LocalSwcFlags: 0x0
portType:  24.0
portState: 2    Offline
Protocol: FC
portPhys:  5    No_Sync         portScn:   2    Offline
port generation number:    258
state transition count:    9

portId:    14b940
portIfId:    43420024
shareIfId:   43420824
portWwn:   20:b9:c4:f5:7c:c4:2b:4e
portWwn of device(s) connected:

Distance:  normal
portSpeed: N16Gbps

FEC: Inactive
Credit Recovery: Inactive
LE domain: 0
Peer beacon: Off
FC Fastwrite: OFF
Interrupts:        0          Link_failure: 3          Frjt:         0
Unknown:           0          Loss_of_sync: 0          Fbsy:         0
Lli:               97         Loss_of_sig:  3
Proc_rqrd:         132        Protocol_err: 0
Timed_out:         0          Invalid_word: 204
Rx_flushed:        0          Invalid_crc:  0
Tx_unavail:        0          Delim_err:    0
Free_buffer:       0          Address_err:  0
Overrun:           0          Lr_in:        4
Suspended:         0          Lr_out:       27
Parity_err:        0          Ols_in:       4
2_parity_err:      0          Ols_out:      4
CMI_bus_err:       0

Ouput from Linux HOSt OS (one of the Hba shows as link down) . OS team has checked it and they say adapter looks fine.

[root@sapcrmnfspc01 ~]# grep -v "zZzZ" -H /sys/class/fc_host/host*/port_state
/sys/class/fc_host/host1/port_state:Online
/sys/class/fc_host/host2/port_state:Linkdown
[root@sapcrmnfspc01 ~]#

Regular Contributor

Re: New Topic : Brocade switch showing port link failure .

Hello,

as you have enc_out errors it should be cable.
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg
Contributor

Re: New Topic : Brocade switch showing port link failure .

Thanks for the input . I got the CE checked its not a cable , its actually a SFP port issue.

Though thanks for the input

Contributor

Re: New Topic : Urgent* Brocade switch Interface need to set to FD and ISL/IFL to fixed Speed & Maps to be enabled for monitoring

Hi ,

Question 1:

I have few switches where the current set-up of the switches interface are 
Link mode: negotiated 100baseTx-HD, link ok   but as per the best practise we need to set it to =

"Ethernet interface must be conncted at full duplex and OK" . So can i use the cmd " ifmodeset" to set the network interface to "full duplex "  when the switches are in production ? Do we have any impact if we set this option ? And also do we need network team to do any changes or take into consideration ??

Question 2:  As the switches are in ISL , so some of the switches link are set to Negotiable (N8) and some switches shows N16 as shown in output below.  So what i wanted to ask is ..do we need to set the switches which are in ISL with "fixed port 16Gb" for the one showing "N8" and "N16" ?   Is it possible that the switches which shows "N8" could have some SFP which is 8Gbps ?

Some lines did not pass the criteria (exclude:\s[Nn0-9]+\s+[Oo]nline\s)
1    1    1   150100   id    N8       Online      FC  E-Port  10:00:c4:f5:7c:b8:35:1d "F101_BD120_25" (Trunk master)
2    1    2   150200   id    N16       Online      FC  E-Port  10:00:c4:f5:7c:c4:75:e2 "F101_BD125_23" (downstream)(Trunk master)
17    2    1   151100   id    N8       Online      FC  E-Port  10:00:c4:f5:7c:b8:35:1d "F101_BD120_25" (Trunk master)
18    2    2   151200   id    N16       Online      FC  E-Port  10:00:c4:f5:7c:c4:75:e2 "F101_BD125_23" (Trunk master)

Question 3: I need to enable MAPS for all the switches for monitoring , so how can i do it ? Do i need to create my own policy, create rules and then specify the email address ?? Or i can use the default policty and rules and just use the email option ?

I understand that i have put 3 queries at a time but as this account requirement so need help in this to fix it soon

Frequent Contributor

Re: New Topic : Urgent* Brocade switch Interface need to set to FD and ISL/IFL to fixed Speed & Maps to be enabled for monitoring

Question 2 - use sfpshow on the ports showing N8 both local and downstream.

Question 3 - MAPS has 4 default policies.

Base - Free MAPS. Monitors hardware only.

conservative - High threshholds.

moderate - medium threshholds.

aggressive - low threshholds. Recommended for FICON.

To enable, it's easiest to do through BNA.

Frequent Contributor

Question 1 - if the eth port autonegotiated to half duplex, you may want to have the network team investigate the switch on thier end.

As for changing it during production, the only impact will be a brief loss of access to the management interface of the switch.

I would recommend using the serial port to make this change.

Regular Contributor

Q1 - if you have DCX there is possibility to change speed from twin CP via backplane IP

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg
Contributor

Question 2: When we have ISL between 3 x switches , is it good practise to change the ISL switch port speed to "Fixed Speed" of 16 Gbps rather than 16N (16 Gbps Negotiable) ??
Contributor

Question 3: I do not have BNA installed and configured , so i am trying to do it manually on Switches , hence , need your quidance ?
Contributor

Question 1: Could you please provide me the proper command and steps for changing the network speed from HD to full duplex ?? As these switches have very few less load at the moment , so can i change it manually ?? OR we also need to get network team check ?? If so what network team will check in the switches as they will not have any access to switches ?? please specify

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.