For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Moving member from one switch to another in the same fabric.

Hi there,

I'm fairly certain I know the answer to this but just wanted to verify that my thinking is correct and I'm not doing something silly.

We have 2 seperate Fabrics (A and B), each fabric consists of 2 switches (5480 and 6510). I have 2x NetApp arrays that are redundantly connected to the 5480's and I would like to move them onto the 6540 switches as the 5480's will be decommissioned at some future time.

We use WWN based zoning so I believe that it is as simple as moving each cable from the 5480's and plugging into the 6510's one cable at a time and verifying that all of our paths have returned in ESXi. I am confident that our multipathing is configured correctly.

Is my method sound?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Moving member from one switch to another in the same fabric.

Hello,

yes, as you use wwn based zooning you may plug cable in any port on any switch in same fabric without reconfiguration.

Of course you have to check if the path is back again after recabling.
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg
New Contributor

Re: Moving member from one switch to another in the same fabric.

Thanks Marian appreciate the response. I just wanted confirmation that I was doing the right thing and not missing something obvious.

Cheers. 

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.