For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Visitor

Linking Brocade 5300 switches!!

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some information on how to configure two Brocade 5300 SAN switches as a redundant pair.

Basically we've obtained a couple of these, which were retired from production, for our lab and we want to configure them as a resilient pair and attach some physical servers and a Netapp disk array to them to replace the even older single IBM SAN switch which is currently in use.

Both switches have many more ports licensed, and populated with 8gbps SFPs, than we need and also have licenses installed for Fabric, Extended Fabric, Fabric Watch, Performance Mode, Trunking, Adaptive Networking, Server application Optomization and Enhanced Group Management. All of their old zoning configuration has been removed and they just have some fairly generic zones and aliases defined which can be dropped if necessary (nothing is actually connected to them yet).

I'm guessing that we need to do some sort of port trunking between them and then have a single fabric extended over both of them ... but that is just guess work and I'm looking for a fairly simple guide on how to do this (I'm not a SAN admin but have administered systems attached to SAN for many years but this is the first time I've had to deal with configuring the SAN itself).

Frequent Contributor

Re: Linking Brocade 5300 switches!!

Your best setup would be two individual fabrics. Then cross connect hosts and storage.

Host 1 attached to FabA and FabB.

Storage attached to FabA and FabB for each storage processor. (SPA0 to FabA-SPA1 to FabB, SPB0 to FabB-SPB1 to FabA)

Zoning would be host1 to SPA0 and SPB1 on FabA and host1 to SPA1 and SPB0 on FabB.

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.