For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

LV
Occasional Contributor

ISL replugging to new SAN switch

Hello

We have to replace our core switch  which has several top of rack switches connected .   We have already installed the new SAN switch ( ISL of 8 fibers to old core switch) . Now we want to replug the ISL's from the TOP san switches.  Can we replug the ISL ports one by one  without any interruption ?

Contributor

Re: ISL replugging to new SAN switch

How many links and trunks do you have between your "top of rack" switches and your old core switch?

LV
Occasional Contributor

Hello

we have 4 links between the core switch and the top of rack switch.  I want to move the links one by one to the new core switch.

Can this be done without any interruption ?

Regards

Luc

Contributor

OK I see you don't like to share the details of your configuration ;)

In case if you will just unplug and replug the cables, your hosts most likely will detect some SCSI timeouts and resets. The hosts may or may not survie this. Shift happens sometimes.

If you have a dual redundant SAN, you might disable half of the links in the host OS software (LVM etc...) before unplugging-replugging the cables.

If you don't like to fiddle with OS commands, then there are a few other options:

- If your platform supports "portdecom", that't the best way to go.

- If "portdecom" woulnd't work, the "linkcost" is a workaround, but make sure to use it from both sides of the link and set it back to defaults after the cable management.

Good luck.

LV
Occasional Contributor

Hello Alexey,

I can sent youan extract of our SAN config , do you have an email address ?

Regards

Luc

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.