For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

ISL changed to other swich and the ports are not linking

Hi all!

I made a change in the ISL connection, I made this move:

OLD config:

ISL = switch B port 17 <-> switch E port 1

New config:

ISL = Switch A port 17 <-> switch E port 1

Once I changed the FC from one switch to other the light in the ports become orange and never start to link ( green )

I checked is the ports ( both) with portcfgshow and looks ok ( disable E_port = off)

When I changed the port in the swith E from port 1 to port 3 and the ISL became operational.

Do you know how must to be checked?

Thanks in advance!

External Moderator

Re: ISL changed to other swich and the ports are not linking

--->>> I checked is the ports ( both) with portcfgshow and looks ok....

nothing is ok.

( disable E_port = off)

in order to ISL one switch to another E_Port must be activated. If the Port is licensed, check if a Fabric License is present.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

I think he means the configuration setting "disable E_port" which of course has to be "Off" (in portcfgshow "..") to enable the port being an E_port.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Antonio and Sebastian,

Yes Sebastian, you are right, the option SIABLE E_port is OFF. And I want to add some details:

All the ports included in this situation have the license and they were used without issue.

The fact is that I made the change to modify a wrong SAN infrastructure desing.

I guess could be a speed issue between the ports, because one was set at 8Gb and the other to 4Gb, I have to make a new test with AN and 4Gb in both sides. By the way, the port 3 in the same swith was set with AN and in the other port the set is 4Gb and worked ok.

Thanks for your help, I will try with this test, if someone has some ideas, please share them!

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.