Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to reload the saved configuration to a new switch ( due to hw issue )

Hi Forum Members,

we have Brocade 7840 Extension Switch (FOS 8.1.2a)  which seems to  have a DIMM memory issue, and needs to be replaced.

My first question would be is it really possible that due to a memory issue, the whole switch needs to be replaced?

The second one would be regarding the configuration. I used the configupload commands, so I have the configurations saved offline. Is it possible to simply initiate a configdownload and copy the previous configuration to the new switch?
I have some doubt since the config contains the WWPN of the switch which is unique. Also the licenes are not there, so we have to transfere them somehow.

Do you have an official docomentation generally what is the process that shold be followed when you would like to load the previous configuration into a new switch?

Appreciate your answers.

Regards, Tamás.

Occasional Contributor

Re: How to reload the saved configuration to a new switch ( due to hw issue )

update:

Meanwhile I found a "Installation, Service, and User Guide" which describes the process quite detailed, but in case you'd have a place where I can find guidances for any switch types , that'd be nice.

Regards, Tamás.

Broadcom Moderator

Use the configdownload command to the replacement switch. Yes, the WWN of the new switch will be taken rather than the old WWN. However, all your other settings will remain the same. 

Once you have done that, you will transfer your licenses to the new switch through the My.Brocade webpage. From the home dashboard, locate the link for 'License', it may have a small key symbol with it. Click on that, and you will be taken to the licens management page. 

From that page, select "License management > Brocade FOS > License Transfer. You will need the chassis SN or the switch WWN of both old and new switches. Fill out the form, include your email, and select transfer. You will get an email with the correct license keys to be applied to the new switch. 

Using the 'licenseadd' command under cli, add those keys to the new switch. Then use the 'licenseshow' command to verify they are active. 

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Occasional Contributor

Hi Doc,

thank you for your reply, it explains some things for me. I tried to transfer the old license by using the old wwn/licenseID and the new one, but I got the following error: *Unable to Map the Owner of the New Unit to a OEM.

Did I do something wrong or it's out of my scope?

One more thing, I was able to revert the previous configuration to the new unit, after I upgraded the FOS to the previous 8.1.2a, but I see some differences between the old and the new config. ( eg.: switch name is default not unique, no tunnels are presented, the switch isn't in the fabric as it was before) So I'm not sure if these can be due the missign licenses ( WAN Rate Upgrade 1 license; FICON_CUP license) or not.

Regards, Tamás.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Doc,

finally after I've added the transfered licenses to the switch, the switch and it's tunnels are working as before. The problem was that I'm not authorized to initiate license transfer... anyway. Appreciate your comment, it helped me.

Regards, Tamás.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.