For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

How to find a offline port in brocade?

How to find a offline port number on a brocade switch? Consider the below.

All the used/unused ports are in enabled state.

No proper naming convension is followed for Aliases/Zones.

ESX team is reporting a WWPN is offline from their end. How to find the port number on which this WWPN is connected. Nodefind is not returning anything for offline ports. Please help...

Frequent Contributor

Re: How to find a offline port in brocade?

switchshow | grep [WWPN]

Frequent Contributor

To really dig in:

switchshow | grep -e No -e Flt

Note that this is case sensitive.

No - Covers No Card, No Module, No Light, No Sync, etc...

Flt - Covers laser fault, port fault, diag fault, etc...

Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

There is the possibility that it "is" connected, but not performing properly.

Look at porterrshow and look at the errors. If there are too many errors, run statsclear, wait a few minutes, then run porterrshow again.

If you locate the port with any of the above, you could run sfpshow -all | grep -e Port -e Power. Or, sfpshow [[slot/]port] | grep Power.

(Grep is case sensitive).

Look at the power for RX and TX. If TX is low, the SFP or the port is potentially faulty. If RX is low, the cable is most likely fault, though it could also be the HBA.

For example, the following port is most likely okay as it is both transmitting and receiving normally.

Port 15:
RX Power:    -2.8    dBm (525.3uW)
TX Power:    -3.3    dBm (463.0 uW)

And below, this port is not okay. Note that TX Power is at 0.9 uW compared to the 463.0 uW above.

32  32   012000   id    N16     Laser_Flt   FC

Port 32:
RX Power:    -25.7   dBm (2.7  uW)
TX Power:    -30.5   dBm (0.9   uW)

Also note, various speeds and type of SFP will show different results in Power. A 4G SFP may show around 300-400 uW. You want to compare RX to TX.

For example, the below output may be doing okay depending on various factors. It could also be having other issues. Generally, if I see this extreme, I look at the cable first.

RX Power:    -3.4    dBm (52.8 uW) - [Edit] Note: I removed the 1st digit of the uW as an example. This does not reflect the dBm value!
TX Power:    -2.9    dBm (518.2 uW)

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Try "nsdevlog" command, it would show what WWN was connected to the offline port.

Frequent Contributor

Nice Alexey! Never used that before. FYI - works with grep too so you can eliminate "noise".

Regular Contributor

As Alexey said, best command if you dont have proper port names is nsdevlog --show, of course fabriclog + porterrshow command is usefull in troubleshooting as well.

But from my perspective, best is to use correct portnames from build up of the switch....there is option to use dynamic portnames (dont know exact FOS right now } which create portnames based on alias of wwn.
Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg
New Contributor

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for your inputs. nsdevlog worked. with WWPN you can run "nsdevlog --show -wwpn <pwwn>" to get port numbers of an offline WWPN numbers.

And one more thing, doen this nsdevlog is enabled by default or we have to enable by using "nsdevlog --enable" ?

Note : My Brocade DCX is running FOS v7.4.2c

Frequent Contributor

Glad that it helped! I've always seen it enabled, and the command reference guide says that it should normally be enabled by default.

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.