For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

External Moderator

Re: How I can upgrade firmware Silkworm 48000?

Probable, but i have in the latest 5 Year's Exact ! 107 FabOS release since Rel. v4.0.0 , of Around 60 Director's 12K; 24K; and 48; without any Problem.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
New Contributor

I've also a long experience (starting with v2.1!!!) and with a large heterogeneous environement, there is always 'something somewhere' that needs a special attention, therefore a rollback is sometimes required...

As example from last year: we were among earliest buyers of 48-ports blades with 48K Directors and they came with a wrong firmware that didn't support the blades! Before upgrade them and insert the blades, we needed upgrade the firmware of old 24K that gave problems on some HP-UX hosts...

So rollback, solve HP-UX hosts issue then forward again with firmware upgrade.

This is just a way of having better control on every action made in a production environment, especially with all compliancy rules and securtiy constraints that IT people have to face today!

Cheers.

External Moderator

To make a longer story short dear stefp, and i am not longer willing to discuss here with you some things, whe spoken here from any Director FOS upgrade, therefore i am not willing to comment their knowledge --->>> I've also a long experience (starting with v2.1!!!) , because i know my experience with brocade since long time, and again, because we also speak of another thing also Director's with any upgrade option "-s" which in other FOS release 1.x, 2.x or 3.x is this feature not available, don't make any sense to continue here a conversation. And, i don't never have any problem with any 48 Port Blade with "wrong" FabOS, i don't know any "wrong" FOS Release with the 48 Port Blade or Other Blade for the 48K, but i know if you insert some Blade in the 48K you must have a min. Rel. of FOS

Have a nice day

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

I have 2 question.

1. My version v5.1.0b, I should upgrade v5.3 before I add blade 48 ports. Do I understand right?

2. I try to use " firmwaredownload" follow sanstructure recommended. When I upgrade completely one partition, my telnet connection disconnect. then, I reconnect again. That time telnet connection disconnect after upgrade only one partition. Can SAN switch still work normally?

Anyway, I thanks for all recommend and help me

thanks both sanstructure and stefp so much

External Moderator

nanosec,

to you question:

1), yes is correct, if you will work with 48 Port Blade, you must first upgrade to FOS higher that v.5.2.x, ( FC4-48 Blade was intruduced by v5.2.0 ) in this case is v5.3 fine, and than inserted the blade.

2) --->>> Can SAN switch still work normally?

Yes, the switch work normally during Upgrade Procedure without any interruption. The reason that the connect will be closed is follow, you are logged in the time this upgrade procedure in the any Active Partition / Image, and the startpoint from the firmwaredownload started by this active partition.

A simple Example, both CP Card in the Director work like a Active/Passive Cluster like a 4 Node Server Cluster System .

After the the first step by firmwaredownload is completed and rebooted you can logged again ( this upgraded Partition is already Active ), at this time you see with the command "firmwaredownloadstatus" the output by Second bank "firmware unknown" NO PANIC!!! nanosec, this procedure and output is normally.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

I try to upgrade but it not complete. find more info below

I run this command to monitor status

root> firmwaredownloadstatus

: Thu Apr 10 11:52:16 2008

Slot 6 (CP1, active): Firmware is being downloaded to standby CP. This step may take up to 30 minutes. : Thu Apr 10 11:58:28 2008

Slot 6 (CP1, active): Firmware has been downloaded successfully to Standby CP. : Thu Apr 10 11:58:36 2008

Slot 6 (CP1, active): Standby CP is going to reboot with new firmware. : Thu Apr 10 12:10:12 2008

Slot 6 (CP1, active): Active and Standby CPs failed to gain HA synchronization within 10 minutes. Firmwaredownload is aborted.

I get this message at cp standby

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

The system is coming up, please wait...

Read board ID of 0x8b from addr 0x23

Read extended model ID of 0x17 from addr 0x22

Matched board/model ID to platform index 5 Read board ID of 0x8b from addr 0x23

Read extended model ID of 0x17 from addr 0x22

Matched board/model ID to platform i

Checking system RAM - press any key to stop test Checking memory address: 00100000 System RAM test using Default POST RAM Test succeeded. Press escape within 4 seconds to enter boot interface.

Booting "Fabric Operating System" image. loading kernel loaded at: 01000000 013F8364

board data at: 013F6324 013F6364

relocated to: 01005110 01005150

zimage at: 0100597D 0116ABCC

initrd at: 0116B000 013F5C00

avail ram: 013F9000 20000000 Linux/PPC load:

BootROM command line: quiet

Uncompressing Linux...don

Now booting the kernel

PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 0 of device 0000:00:00.0

Installing Linux 2.6 Kernel

Attempting to find a root file system on hda2...

mount: Mounting /dev/hda2 on /mnt failed: No such device or address

Failed to mount hda2 as root!

Attempting to find a root file system on hda1...

mount: Mounting /dev/hda1 on /mnt failed: No such device or address

Failed to mount hda1 as root!

Failed to mount a root file system!

Both boot devices are inconsistent. You can run sbin/repairfs.sh to boot up the

system. After the system is booted up, please run firmwaredownload to load the a

ppropriate version of firmware.

BusyBox v0.60.5 (2006.06.20-01:11+0000) Built-in shell (ash)

Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands. sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

Note: I try to run sbin/repairfs.sh but it cannot work.

External Moderator

nanosec,

whit which FOS Release they have start the Download ?

I see here the message,

--->>> escape within 4 seconds to enter boot interface.

so you was connect trough the Serial port with the CP during the download, do you have Aborted or interrupted the Download or Reboot during the Download ?

Firmware has been successfully loaded, and in normal working environment this CP/Partition must reboot without any problem.

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Contributor

My curren version = 5.1.0.b. I want to upgrade to 5.3.0d.

I also read release note. it said that it can upgrade. I quit suprise about this case.

Anyway, I also attached supportsave. please, help to verify

thanks

External Moderator

nanosec,

--->>> Anyway, I also attached supportsave. please, help to verify

i don't see here the attached supportsave.

can you please collect follow info and post here ?

Is the switch booted ? If not, ( Procede Please with Step A ) i note in the failed Download, the CP1 Slot 6 was active also the download was in CP0 Slot 5.

If yes, must you see CP1 as Active, is correct ?

Step A: Power Off the CP0 and make sure the switch booted from CP1 , here slot 6.

The switch must at this time booted from CP1 this is Healthy, you get probable the HA warning because one of both CP is missing.

Log trough telnet, see whit the command "firmwareshow" i assume you see here the current FOS v5.1.0b in both Partition, please collect this info ( a better way, you start trough Telnet "capture" ) so will be save all operation and output.

Please post this Info here and wait of more instruction before you execute other operation. OK ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
External Moderator

nanosec,

--->>> Anyway, I also attached supportsave. please, help to verify

i don't see here the attached supportsave.

can you please collect follow info and post here ?

Is the switch booted ? If not, ( Procede Please with Step A ) i note in the failed Download, the CP1 Slot 6 was active also the download was in CP0 Slot 5.

If yes, must you see CP1 as Active, is correct ?

Step A: Power Off the CP0 and make sure the switch booted from CP1 , here slot 6.

The switch must at this time booted from CP1 this is Healthy, you get probable the HA warning because one of both CP is missing.

Log trough telnet, see whit the command "firmwareshow" i assume you see here the current FOS v5.1.0b in both Partition, please collect this info ( a better way, you start trough Telnet "capture" ) so will be save all operation and output.

Please post this Info here and wait of more instruction before you execute other operation. OK ?

TechHelp24

TechHelp24

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.