For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Hello. what must I have in mind to change SAN768B-2 by SAN512B-6%2C hardware replace

I have in production SAN768B-2 and to migrate to brand new SAN512B-6 what must I have in mind? what I want is to power off older Directors and retire / replace for the brand new SAN512B-6 that contains same configuration, and that be transparent to my SAN, I have more than hundreds of hosts ( About 1500) and additionally many VMS, LPArs, etc.

Contributor

Re: Hello. what must I have in mind to change SAN768B-2 by SAN512B-6%2C hardware replace

Make sure that all speeds are supported. I've done a few migrations where this wasn't initially taken into account. Most of the devices were able to be moved using a lower speed SFP, but there were a few that would not connect due to speeds being too low.

External Moderator

Re: Hello. what must I have in mind to change SAN768B-2 by SAN512B-6%2C hardware replace

@csantoyo

You SAN Details are very thinly

a migration is usually very easy, however in your case you have to consider feew things.

First, is a Open or FICON environments ?

Second, when you say "LPArs, etc...." are in this environments AIX or HP-UX Host ?

VMS, what type of VM ?

Is a Core / Edge SAN ?

AIX and HP-UX are a bit critical Environments

about the speed....., - is not a problem at all - indeed, new Gen6 Platforms support

32/16/8 Gb with 32G SFP+

16/8/4 Gb when you use 16G SFP+

( but I don't think you have such Old Host in the environments ?? )

that means, you can in any case safely connect 4Gb HOST, ! however you cannot ISL Old 4Gb Switches to same SAN with Gen6 Platform !

Finally, I do not know your knowledge in SAN environments, for that reason due the many host, I would recommended to create a SAN Design / Matrices AS-IS / TO-BE

Have a Fun!

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks for your commnets.

My SAN Directors are for OPEN systems. Environments are AIX (LPARS), Linux Red Hat, VMWare (VMs), Windows. 

Yes Those are Core SAN Directors.

Brand New SAN Directors  have 16Gbps

The majority of production connections are 16Gbps, 8Gbps and a few 4Gbps

Please give me your advise on where can I find information to create a SAN Design / Matrices AS-IS / TO-BE

Thanks

External Moderator

@csantoyo

you to follow as first the Storage Vendor Matrices with supported FOS Release, then HBA and all HOST OS.

--->>>...on where can I find information.....

you have to collect all this Info from the Environments, there are no General Available Information, because each environmets is unique.

the most Info can be collected with SAN-Health

https://www.broadcom.com/support/fibre-channel-networking/tools/san-health/diagnostics-capture

TechHelp24

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.