For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Hard Port Zoning for NPIV Hosts

We have Brocade DCX, 6510's running FOS 7.3.x and we are using the Hardware WWN Zoning standard. We have a requirement where we need to use Hardware Port Zoning Standard. We have Physical Hosts, NPIV Hosts and Hetrogeneous Storage Arrays.

So, my question is how to create Hard Port zoning for NPIV hosts?

Contributor

Re: Hard Port Zoning for NPIV Hosts

1) All the zoning is hardware based since around 15 years now. So it's not true that WWN zoning is "software" as opposed to the Port zoning which is "hardware". All of them are running directly on the switching ASICs.

2) You can use Port based zoning with NPIV but of course all the NPIV devices on the same port will be zoned together. The only way to break that dependence is to implement the WWN based zoning.
Contributor

Re: Hard Port Zoning for NPIV Hosts

[ Edited ]

Zoning individual NPIV devices at the port level is not possible, as Alexey said.

Zoning enforcement

Zoning enforcement describes a set of predefined rules that the switch uses to determine where to send incoming data. Fabric OS uses

hardware-enforced zoning. Hardware-enforced zoning means that each frame is checked by hardware (the ASIC) before it is delivered to

a zone member and is discarded if there is a zone mismatch. When hardware-enforced zoning is active, the Fabric OS switch monitors

the communications and blocks any frames that do not comply with the effective zone configuration. The switch performs this blocking

at the transmit side of the port on which the destination device is located.

There are two methods of hardware enforcement:

Frame-based hardware enforcement: All frames are checked by the hardware.

Session-based hardware enforcement: The only frames checked by hardware are the ELS frames (such as PLOGI and RNID)

used to establish a session.

The hardware-enforcement method used depends on how the zones are configured.

A zone can contain all WWN members, or all D,I members, or a combination of WWN and D,I members.

Frame-based hardware enforcement is in effect if all members of a zone are identified the same way, either using WWNs or D,I notation,

but not both. If the zone includes aliases, then the aliases must also be defined the same way as the zone.

Session-based hardware enforcement is in effect if the zone has a mix of WWN and D,I members.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.