For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Firmware Update

Afternoon

Just wondering if somebody could give me some clarification, im trying to upgrade the firmware on my Broadcom 300 FC Switch, currently is has v5.0.1b and im trying to go to v6.2.0b

When i upload the firmware i get an error stating "Firmware directory structure is not compatible"

Am i right in thinking i cant go from v5 to v6 and thats why im getting this error?

If thats the case does anyone know were i can get v5 firmware files please?

Thanks

External Moderator

Re: Firmware Update

@baileyphil

--->>>....on my Broadcom 300 FC Switch.....

I assume you have Brocade 200 Switch and not 300. The 300 was launched with FOS 6.0.0 and not 5.x

and Yes, you cannot upgrade in One step from 5.0.1b to 6.x

you need first to upgrade to 5.1.x -> 5.2x. -> 5.3.x

the procede as descripted in Target Path guide - attached -

6.2.2g is the latest supported Rel. on Brocade 200

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Many thanks for your reply, i was actually under the impression it was a 300 but its at another site so im not able to view it right now, i do have a serial number if that would tell you?

It currently has v5.0.1b firmware installed and im trying to upgrade it, where would i get the firmware v5.2 -> v5.3 etc etc ?

Thanks

External Moderator

@baileyphil

do a login as admin trough telnet executeed the command "switchshow"

and post the line "SwitchType"

again, you need to update first to 5.1.x -> 5.2.x -> 5.3.x

those steps are mandatory before you can upgrade to 6.x

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Morning 

Many thanks for getting back to me, the output from the switchshow gives me 27.2

I appreciate i need to go to 5.1 etc, but im not able to download the firmware as on the Broadcom page it starts at V6, is there an archive for the older firmware versions so i can download them?

Thanks

External Moderator

[ Edited ]

@baileyphil

switch type 27.2 is neither Brocade 300 nor 200, this is a Old 2Gb Brocade 3250 and is supported only till FOS 5.3.x, higher release are not supported.

Old FOS preview as 6.2.x are not longer available for Download due End of Support.

TechHelp24
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply, so im basically stuck on v5.0.1 with no ability to download 5.2 or 5.3 ?

Im getting a no_sync from this switch to my SAN, could this be that my SAN does not support the switch then?

External Moderator

@baileyphil

3250 is very old, was launched 2004.

--->>>Im getting a no_sync from this switch to my SAN,

what you want to connect ?

is the 3250 connected to another switch ? = ISL

if yes, is a Fabric license installed ?

is the switch correct configured ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your reply, this system has been inherited unfortunatly so i appreciate this must be an old switch, they look the same so i didnt really take much notice of versions.

Im trying to connect 4 poweredge servers (which seem to be fine) and a Powervault MD3800 SAN (which has no_sync)

When im running a swichshow on port 5 and 6 im getting a No_Sync messge (which is the SAN)

at the moment i just need the switch to be able to sync with the SAN, ill then need to look at alternatives regarding fibre switches.

Thanks

External Moderator

@baileyphil

AFAIK, Powervault MD3800 is 16Gb Storage, and foir this reason you cannot connect to 2Gb switch

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.