For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

FCIP configuration - to use VF or not ?

Hi all

I am looking to connect 2 sites together. Both sites have DCX 8510, with the FX8-24 extension blades installed (FTR_10G and FTR_AE licenses already applied to both) .  I have been looking at just setting up a VEX port on one side and doing LSAN zones to connect the sites together, however alot of reading indicates that the side without the VEX port could be susceptible to WAN link issues, which could negatively affect the fabric on that side, and currently both sites are considered production, so i am not sure if this is the way i want to go

the other option is VF, which i have never configured before, but it looks like it would allow me to isolate the devices required for replication into a logical san, and not have to worry about wan link issues affecting the whole fabric on the VE port side..

Anyone have any recommendations or caveats for using either VF or just going with the VEX setup?

Regular Contributor

Re: FCIP configuration - to use VF or not ?

Hello,

In case that you will connect VEX and VE port, you will have some kind of edge to backbone routing.

With situation that WAN will start flapping, switch side with VE port will be affected.

If you have VF license on both switch it will be better to configure base switch (kind of logical switch) on both switches and connect it together with VE port. These base switches (will act as router) will separate your edge fabric so they will be not affected with WAN.

Than you have to configure EX ports on base switches and connect it with defualt  logical switch with FC cable. In virtual fabrics there is no connection between base switch and default logical swithc so you need to have physical connection here.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg
Regular Contributor

check attached guide from page 39.

Marian Bezeg
External Moderator

@Marian Bezeg

--->>>If you have VF license on both switch....

VF is a native Features in FOS and enable by default. Not sure why you talk here from "license" ????

TechHelp24
Contributor

can the base logical switch be configured to include all ports (FC and xGEx) in the slot that the extension blade is in?

IE the extension blade will have the FC connections to the storage only, and the xGEx ports out to the network core.

i think this would provide an EBE topology no?  I dont think i would need an EX port connection seeing that the storage ports will be potentially assigned to the logical base switch

Regular Contributor

Hello,

unfortunately base switch cant have Fport attached, Only E,EX,VE,VEX is supported.

becasue of that you need to have phyiscal loop from EX (base switch) to E port (default logical switch) in same DCX chassis.

Its good idea to have for example replication storage ports in BB fabric, but this is not possible without legacy HW router.

Marian Bezeg
Frequent Contributor

If you are looking for total isolation in this fabric, then a standard VF should work fine. (IE: Replication traffic is the only traffic that will be present on this VF).

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Antonio Bongiorno TechHelp24

Sorry for that i always forget that you dont need  license for this feature...

Marian Bezeg
Contributor

thanks all

looks like i will have to do ALOT more reading on VF's as it appears there are two ways to use them,  with or without base logical switch.

my goal is to ensure no merging of any fabrics occur, that both sites are isolated from WAN issues,  and only allow the storage ports designated for replication to talk to each other

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello,

without base switch, the fabric will merge...

If you want to separate replication port...you may do following.

Create FCR routing via base switches.

Create Logical switch with only replication ports.

Connect base switch and logical switch with physical LC-LC cable

Keep remaining DCX ports in default switch (they will dont have access to another edge fabric via WAN)

So from high level:

DCX SITE A:

Default switch (all ports without replication and base switch ports)

Logical switch (Only replicantion port and IFL to/from base switch)

Base switch (Only IFL ports to/from LS and VEX ports to the WAN)

DCX SITE B:

Same as on site A.

Marian Bezeg

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.