For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

FCIP TUnnel creation - -b and -B parameter

Good day

Can someone tell me why when i create a FCIP tunnel, it asks for a -b and -B parameter when AE is not even licensed?

FOS version 7.4.1c on a 7800 series FCIP switch - i have tried creating a tunnel without this parameter, just tried specifying a 0 after the comand, but it will not create

so i end up having to specify -b 1000000 -B 1000000

here is what i tried initially -

- portcfg fciptunnel 16 create --remote-ip 1.1.1.1 --local-ip 2.2.2.2 0   - the 0 at the end i thought represented a no commit rate, use what is available - did not work

i had to issue

- portcfg fciptunnel 16 create --remote-ip 1.1.1.1 --local-ip 2.2.2.2 -b 1000000 -B 1000000 to be able to create the tunnel - worked

by specifying the -b and -B to the same setting without AE licensed, is this the same as an uncommited rate?

thanks

Broadcom Moderator

Re: FCIP TUnnel creation - -b and -B parameter

The -b and -B parameters are the upper and lower boundaries of the ARL backoff algoritm. They are used to automatically adjust the bandwidth demand and rate limit the FCIP bandwidth depending on load. They are required parameters. 

See the FCIP guide for further information on ARL and how to configure.

doc

Any and all information provided by me is for entertainment value and should not be relied upon as a guaranteed solution or warranty of mechantability. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a concern about data loss, or network disconnection, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, Please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

I guess i am wondering if Advanced Extension License is NOT licensed here, then the -b and -B parameters are not needed, but i cannot create a tunnel without specifying these parameters.

I know with the AE license activated, ARL is one of the features that comes with that license. Seeing that these switches do not have Advanced Extension, i was just more or less wondering how a tunnel can be created without specifying a set commit rate, ie just create the tunnel to use the full Gb link available to it.

thanks

Hi....I am training on two pods, and one pod seems to have problems bringing up the FCIP tunnels. I tried to troubleshoot but not sure exactly the best way at this time. I attached to the IPS module and looked at the fcip fsm but couldn't make out exactly what was going on. If anyone has any ideas how to drill down to see what may be happening let me know. 

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.