05-01-2014 06:48 AM
I currently have two DataCenters. Facts:
- both are interconnected by two 10Gbps (Ethernet) links
- distance between DCs is 30KM
- on both sides we have two Fabrics, one fabric is based on Brocade 5100 switches (one per DC), and second fabric is based on Brocade 6510 switches (one per DC)
- I have to provide FC connectivty between both DCs using existing 10Gbps Ethernet connection
- We have ICX 6610 platform connected to 10Gbps Ethernet DC interconnect
As I need to provide FC connectivity over IP I will use four Brocade 7800 devices (two pairs) - one for first fabric and second for second fabric.
- I want to use 6x1Gbps Ethernet as FCIP tunnel - do I need Trunking license as I will 'trunk' 1Gbps ports ?
- Do I need Extended Fabric license if my FCIP tunnels are 30KM ?
- Do I correct that final solution will look like below:
- Do I need any additional licenses on Brocade 5100 and Brocade 6510 switches ? I only have Full-Fabric licenses on them. We're running FOS 7.1.
- Can I do FCIP tunnel without Brocade 7800 devices on Brocade 5100 or 6510 ? AFAIK not as 5100 and 6510 doesn't have Ethernet ports.
Brocade 5100 <--E_Port-8Gbps--> Brocade 7800 <--VE_Port (FCIP Tunnel 6x1Gbps Eth)--> Brocade 7800 <--E_Port-8Gbps--> Brocade 5100
Brocade 6510 <--E_Port-8Gbps--> Brocade 7800 <--VE_Port (FCIP Tunnel 6x1Gbps Eth)--> Brocade 7800 <--E_Port-8Gbps--> Brocade 6510
05-01-2014 10:49 AM
I would suggest you read through the following:
Page 41 mentions that FCIP Trunking (multi-circuit FCIP tunnel) requires the Advanced Extension license for the 7800s.
Also, if I were you, I'd use Fibre Channel Routing (FCR) and Logical SANs (LSANs) between sites. This would require an Integrated Routing license on the 5100s and 6510s. The reason I suggest FCR is that it's not a good idea to merge SAN fabrics across a WAN.
05-01-2014 02:16 PM
Thanks for URL for licensing. I readed it. Now I see that I don't need regular Trunking on 7800 and Integrated Routing is optional only if I would use EX ports instead of regular E ports.
Can I just aggregate 6xGE using regular LACP/static LAG to not buy Advanced Extension license ? (As It will be just 1 LAG it will be single FCIP connection).
Why I don't recommend merge SAN fabrics across WAN ? Fabrics are very small. It's basicly two switches per fabric, one switch per site in each fabric. Same zones are also no problem.
05-01-2014 08:24 PM
On the FCR question, start with page 38 in this manual:
As far as I know, the GE ports on the 7800 do not support LACP. They are not general purpose NICs. You have to use a multi-circuit FCIP tunnel.
05-02-2014 02:49 AM
And what do you think about idea of NPIV between Brocade 5100/6510 and 7800 ?
It will prevent from fabric-merging, but what about disadvantages ?
Slower detection time of problem ?