For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Does brocade 6505,6510 SAN Switches support Fiber Channel.

Dear Team,

My client Has  Brocade 6505,6510 SAN Switches does both of model support Fiber Channel ?

We will connect both swith to Cisco UCS FI.

Please guide on this.

Regards,

Sachin Chopade

External Moderator

Re: Does brocade 6505,6510 SAN Switches support Fiber Channel.

sachinc@isplpune.com

all Brocade FC Switches support Fibre Channel incl. 65xx series

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

although FC is a standard, some vendors interpret the standard differently! So normally you can't connect Brocade and Cisce FC-SANs directly!

I didn't try it with one of the new CISCO Fabric Interconnect switches, but in the past you had only one option: to put the devices of one vendor in a so called "access gateway mode", but loosing some of the native FC features.

Theoretically there is FC-Routing, which means you connect the different FC-SANs via a FC-Routing capable device. Then the fabrics don't merge, but you can access devices across fabric boundaries. But I don't know if there is a vendor who supports FC-Routing between CISCO and Brocade/Broadcom right now. In any way, you run into a nightmare of version control, firmware interoperability and feature availability/absence. Not to speak about support and supportability.

So if possible, keep to one FC-SAN vendor!

As you have probably dual redundant fabrics for HA, you could put CISCO FC-SAN devices into one Fabric and Brocade/Broadcom FC-SAN devices into the other fabric. But again, stay homogen and consistent whithin one fabric!

External Moderator

@holger.fitz

you staement is incorrect !!!

he ask follow:

--->>We will connect both swith to Cisco UCS FI.

Brocade support interconnect to Cisco UCS and work fine. I've made a lot such config, latest appr. 8 week ago with newest Gen6 switches.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hello Antonio,

as said, I didn't try it recently. So if this works without putting the Brocade devices into "Access Gateway Mode" this is good news.

With best regards

Holger Fitz

Broadcom Moderator

Hi,

the Cicso Fabric Interconnects will connect to the switches as an NPIV device, like previously mentioned comparable to an Access Gateway.

TL

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.