For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Crossport Clarification

Hi all

i have a quesiton on crossports and setting them up.  My understanding from reading the Fabric OS administrators guide is that crossports are used as a failover mechanism on a 10GbE enabled extension blade.

I take this to mean if i have xge1 configured with a circuit on VE port 12 (configured as VEX in my case), in the same blade, i can configure xge0 as a crossport and if for some reason xge1 goes belly up (bad sfp, bad cable, whatever), xge0 will allow vex port 12 to continue on it's way.  is this correct? (routing needs to be there too though)

I am a bit hung up on the language written in the admin guide where it refers to local and remote ports. when i think of remote, i am thinking the remote switch in the remote site with it's own ports, but i believe that the documentation is refering to the 2 10gbe ports in the same blade. xge1 local and xge0 remote are in the same extension blade, just the terminilogy is a bit odd.

thanks

Frequent Contributor

Re: Crossport Clarification

I've never worked with this technology (sadly).

There is, however, the Extension Guide that may be of more use to you.

(Or, someone here who is better suited to answer.)

Occasional Contributor

I need a bit more info to be able to provide you what you might be looking for. 

Are you trying to create a failover path for your traffic?

Are you trying configure a failover path that is used during FOS updates? 

If you want redundancy in your Tunnel (VE port), just create 2 circuits for the same tunnel, using for instance, xge0 and xge1. This way if you experience any of the failures you mention on any one of those ports, you have redundancy and your data continues to flow.

If you are looking for FOS update concurrency, let me know and I can provide you with a simple diagram that demostrates the local and remote references.

Contributor

Looking to create a failover path in case one of the aforementioned issues arise.

This is a fx8-24 blade in a DCX installed in only one switch per site by the way

so if i create tunnel using VEX port 12, i thought that only xge1 provided that tunnel ID, and xge0 could not use it unless crossport was configured?

From a san design best practice pdf -

Often, for purposes of redundancy and resiliency, an FCIP Trunk has circuits that extend out of both of the 10
GbE interfaces. Each 10 GbE interface (XGE) has “native” VE_Ports from one of the two groups (xge1:12-21
or xge0:22-31). If you wish to extend a circuit from VE_Port 12 through xge0, you must use something called
a cross-port. A cross-port requires an ipif and iproute that have been configured and explicitly designated for
cross-port use; otherwise, the circuit cannot be configured for the non-native 10 GbE interface. By merely
designating the ipif and iproutes to be used with non-native XGE interfaces, you can configure this type of circuit

but are you saying i dont need to configure crossports?.

I also found this which may be what i need, but i would appreciate the diagram you mentioned as i get things better when i see them

Configures an interface for a failover crossport. A crossport is defined as the
nonlocal (secondary) XGE port to a VE_Port group that provides failover
capabilities for the tunnel configured on the local XGE port. For VE_Ports
12-21, xge1 is the local XGE port and xge0 is the crossport. For VE_Ports
22-31, xge0 is the local XGE port and xge1 is the crossport. This operand is
optional and supported only on the Brocade FX8-24 XGE ports

Thanks

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.