For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Create FC Fabric between 2 x 6510 over dark fibre

Sorry but I'm rather new to the world of Fabric Switches.

I was recently given the task to re-new our aging QLogic SANBox 5802 switches which are located in our 2 datacenters and connected by dark fibre. Within each datacenter we have 2 QL switches. Switch 1 in DC A is in a Fabric with Switch 1 in DC B, then Switch 2 in DC A in a Fabric with Switch 2 in DC B.

I've gone ahead and purchased 4 x HPE SN6000B which are re-badged Brocade 6510.

Do I need a license to create a Fabric between the two switches (x2) ?

Thanks in advance

Ian

External Moderator

Re: Create FC Fabric between 2 x 6510 over dark fibre

@icelias

starting with FOS 7.2 on Gen5 Platforms, Fabric License is native and no longer required.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi TechHelp24,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The switches are currently on 8.0.2c, so we should be okay.

The switches have no config at the moment (other than management IP) and I've given them a unique Domain ID.

Are you aware of any links/docs to help in creating the Fabric?

Many thanks

Ian

Regular Contributor

Hello,

do you know what is the distance between switches? If its more than 10km you need to have "Extended fabric license" on switches.

For switch configuration, there is admin guide for FOS 8.x.x

Admin guide FOS 8.0.1

If you woud like to create fabric streched between your DCs.

You need to have different domain IDs on all switches in one fabric.

One note from admin guide:

Do not use domain ID 0. Using this domain ID can cause the switch to reboot continuousl

Second thing you need to have physical connectivity between sites.

Then you have to configure E-Port from switch to DWDM as long distance port.

Based on distance:

Normal Mode (LO) — LO is the normal (default) mode for an E_Port. It configures the E_Port as a standard (not long-distance)
ISL. A total of 20 full-size frame buffers are reserved for data traffic, regardless of the E_Port’s operating speed. The maximum
supported link distance is up to 5 km at 2 Gbps, up to 2 km at 4 Gbps, and up to 1 km at 8, 10, and 16 Gbps.

∙ Extended Mode (LE) — LE configures the distance for an E_Port when that distance is greater than 5 km and up to 10 km. LE does not require an Extended Fabrics license. The baseline for the buffer credit calculation is one buffer credit per km at 2 Gbps. This allocation yields the following values for 10 km: – 10 buffer credits per port at 2 Gbps – 20 buffer credits per port at 4 Gbps – 40 buffer credits per port at 8 Gbps – 50 buffer credits per port at 10 Gbps – 80 buffer credits per port at 16 Gbps – 160 buffer credits per port at 32 Gbps
∙ Dynamic Mode (LD) — LD calculates buffer credits based on the distance measured during port initialization. Brocade switches use a proprietary algorithm to estimate distance across an ISL. The estimated distance is used to determine the buffer credits required in LD (dynamic) extended link mode based on a maximum Fibre Channel payload size of 2,112 bytes. You can place an upper limit on the calculation by providing a desired_distance value. Fabric OS confines user entries to no larger than what it has estimated the distance to be. When the measured distance is more than the specified desired distance, the desired distance (the smaller value) is used in the calculation.
∙ Static Mode (LS) — LS calculates a static number of buffer credits based only on a user-defined desired_distance value. LS mode also assumes that all FC payloads are 2,112 bytes. Specify LS mode to configure a static long-distance link with a fixed buffer allocation greater than 10 km

After that you may enable your ports and verify connectivity between fabrics.

For zone config, you will create it once you will add first zone in active configuration.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg
New Contributor

Hi Marian,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in replying (I had an email for the 1st response but none after that).

The buildings are only 200m apart, I also has an issue with one of Fibre cables, once I replaced the Fabric was created within the JAVA console with both switches.

Can I ask one other question?

Is the switch open (i.e. all initiators can see all targets) until a Zone has been enabled on the switch?

Thanks
Ian
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Ian,

if there is no any active configuration, switch will relly on defauly zone settings.

You may verify it via command:

defzone --show

There is two option --allaccess and --noaccess. If you have all access without active zooning cfg devices will see each other.

I prefer to use noaccess as without zooning config the devices will not see each other.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.