For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Connect Brocade 6505 with a Brocade 300, Licensing and Design question

Hey Guys

First I would like to say sorry if this question is silly or obious but I do have tramendous time pressure and I would like to have an answer asap and valid.

I do have a datacenter with 2x Brocade 300 (IBM labeld) and another datacenter which is empty at the moment. Now in datacenter one we do have an EMC VNX 5400 and 8 ESXi Hosts, Backup FC host.

The 2 Brocade 300 are individual Fabrics so now we want to extend these Fabrics with one 6505 each to be able to connect more endpoints to the storage. 

Question 1: Do I need an ISL for this? As far as I am aware of YES but the sales told me no no, as long as you connect up to 4 SAN switches no issue.

After this we are going to setup another EMC VNX 5400 in datacenter 2 and we will install 2x brand new 6505 SAN Switches there as well (individual Fabrics). THEN we are going to connect these switches to the fabrics in datacenter 1.

First Broacde 300 + First 6505 in datacenter 1 with First  brocade 6505 in datacenter 2 --> Fabric A

Second Broacde 300 + Second  6505 in datacenter 1 with Second brocade 6505 in datacenter 2 --> Fabric B

Question 2: Do I need an ISL for this? As far as I am aware of YES but the sales told me no no, as long as you connect up to 4 SAN switches no issue.

Question 3: Shall I connect the Farbics in datacenter 2 to the new 6505 or shall I better connect them to the 300 rather?

Thank you very much for your help

Regular Contributor

Re: Connect Brocade 6505 with a Brocade 300, Licensing and Design question

Hello,

1.)

If you want to connect two SAN switches together you need ISL.

For this you need "Fabric License" on all of switches in your case Brocade 300 <> Bocade 6505

2.) So at first it depends how far is your second datacenter. If its more than 10 Km you then need "Extended Fabric License".

This will allow you to setup LONG DISTANCE feature on your ports between DC.

3.) From my perspective it will be better if you will connect to in this way.

300 <> 6505 <> 6505 <> 300

In this case you will have two stretched fabric between sites.

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Marian Bezeg
Occasional Contributor

Hi Marian

Thanks for this information so I was right... neither do we have ISL on the old 300 nor do we have on the 6505 for datacenter 1. Only for the ones in datacenter 2... oh my god I knew it. ;)

Further I just checked the SFP for the connection they are LW 10KM 8Gbit.... can we use them without Extrend Fabric and only with ISL or will it force us to have Extrend Fabric as soons as we put in those SFPs?

With regards to your connection design we do only have 300 switches in datacenter 1 but not in datacenter 2, there it is only one 6505.

by the way: can we interconnect switches between different firmware levels? at the moment we do have 7.2.1d (brocade 300) and 8.2.1 (brocade 6505). Latest for 300 is 7.4 anyway so I guess this feature works plattform and firmware independent?

Cheers

Regular Contributor

Hello Duke,

you need to have Fabric License on all switches as you will want to merge them into the fabric.

With this licesne you may form ISL  (E-Ports) between your switches in DC1. 

The connection between sites will be maded by ISL as well, but in this case you will need to add additionas buffer credist due to distance, if its up to 10KM you will need to have "Extended fabric license". So it depends on distance between sites.

I could not find release notes for 8.2.1 .... but on 8.1.x ther is following"

Brocade DCX, DCX-4S, 300, 5100, 5300 v7.3.1 or later

Marian Bezeg
Occasional Contributor

Hi

So I need to update the 300 switches first. The distance is 2 KM so do I need to have extenden Farbic Licenses on all switches even the 300er or only on these which I use to form the Long Distance ISL?

Cheers

Regular Contributor

Hello Duke,

as i know for this distance (2Km) you dont need to have extended fabric license.
Only Fabric license is must on all switches in the fabrics.

Marian Bezeg
Occasional Contributor

Thanks a lot

Occasional Contributor

Hi all

The reason why I could not connect both 6505 with each other was that during the update of the firmware the domain ID changed for swtich 2, the same as for the name! Never saw that before?

So basically the 6505 do have the Fabric License built into the system. 

Question now: I do have to extend existing switches in the datacenter with new fabric members so I will assign different domain IDs and clean resp. disable a configuration to the new ones. I will add the new system to the old 6505 the following

DATACENTER 1 -------------------------------------------------------------------------|----DATACENTER 2

FABRIC A: old 6505 12 ports ---- ISL ----- new 6505 12 ports ---- ISL ----- |----new 6505 24 ports

FABRIC B: old 6505 12 ports ---- ISL ----- new 6505 12 ports ---- ISL ----- |----new 6505 24 ports

Based on my knowledge the switch with the lowest WWN becomes principal and the new switches get the zoning config from the old switch in datacneter 1.

Q1: Is this true?

Q2: What would happen if one of the new Brocade Switches would become principal would that impact the zoning distribution from the old 6505 in datacenter 1?

Cheers and thanks a lot

Michael

Regular Contributor

Hello,

its really strange that the change of domain ID occure during the FOS upgrade. Will be good if you will open case to brocade.

For your questions.

1. Yes, If ther is no priority settings, switch with lowest WWN will become a principal switch. If you dont like it you may setup a priority for switches which will became principal. If this is not an option you may force switch to be principal after creation of fabric with command bellow on future principal.

fabricprincipal -f 

Principal switch only managing only clocks of the fabric and is responsible for assignments of Domain IDs.

The switch will get config only if there is no any active configuration on switch.

2. If you add new switch where the switch will be principal. It will first take zooning config. (if there is no any active on switch) and then it will be switched to principal. If there will be any active configuration on new switch, segmentation will occure.

Marian Bezeg
Occasional Contributor

Re: Connect Brocade 6505 with a Brocade 300, Licensing and Design question (v2)

Hi,

We have 2 - 300 model (running individually A and B) live production and we recently brought 2 new 6505 with 24 ports (C and D).

All switches in the same rack in same data center.

We could like to extend A => C and B => D.

Any idea how to do this step by step? Any configuration needed?

1)

Connect A => C with the LC-LC FC cable?

Connect B => D with the LC-LC FC cable?

(all units come with license).

2) What are the configuration needed so that A and C can communicate / B and D can communicate ?

Do we configure that at A and B or C and D??

Do we need to upgrade A and B (300-24) firmware, current version 6.0.2c?

Do we need to upgrade C and D (6505-24) firmware, current version 8.0.2c?

3) For normal zoning setup, do we then use A and B or C and D to set that up?

4) License infor for A and B

licenseshow
ReRz9ScbbdSfS0AG:
Fabric license
cceR9yeQeddjSAj:
Second Ports on Demand license - additional 8 port upgrade license
S7SYHSRTmmCZPR9LSEPKHaSMmZEDSrfTBS7XA:
Enhanced Group Management license
YRRtX3BCGWRFCHagEMLH7Fa4ALfDZNP3B7rNH:
8 Gig FC license
mGrG9B9JWa937QattaWg4QMF4NCRgDWGBAtKE:
Full Ports on Demand license - additional 16 port upgrade license

5) License info for C and D (24 ports)

licenseshow
J4HfGCE9ZgKaEfJ4rDmQFARaQB9YrHBaBALYG:
Ports on Demand license - additional 12 port upgrade license

6) After it connection will A and B (300-64), live production, will become princinple or C and D (6505-24) will become principle ?

Thanks

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.