For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Can I use same HBA from the server to zone storage and Tape library? Is it recommended

Can I use same HBA from the server to zone storage and Tape library?

I know theoretically we can do it, but is it recommended? because of the way the two (Tape and Disk) deals data differently , such as Tape does all sequentially and Disk does all random, wont that effect each other?

External Moderator

Re: Can I use same HBA from the server to zone storage and Tape library? Is it recommended

@anirban.bose

you should specified a bit more.

--->>>Can I use same HBA ....

the answer is yes, you can do - but is not high recommended - however related to the "HBA" as physical component

and NO! if you question is related to the same "HBA Port" Single Port

in feew word example you have a Dual Port HBA, Port_0 and Port_1, then you can safely zone 0 to Storage and 1 to Library,

for a simple reason that the best practices is One Target One Initiatior.

TechHelp24
Contributor

Re: Can I use same HBA from the server to zone storage and Tape library? Is it recommended

Keep tape and SAM targets in separate zones
External Moderator

@Nate.K

the main question is:

--->>>Can I use same HBA from the server

The HBA is a physical component, depend on Model have 1, 2 or 4 Ports

assuming he have a DUAL Port HBA, then can be safely created TWO Zone, one for a Library, and one for Storage Ports.

there is not mandatory to have more than ONE HBA in the same physical Server

I've suggested in my preview answer to crete single zone to different HBA_Port as Target/Initiator

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.