For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Are there known performance issues related to FOS 7 on 5100?

Hi - I want to temporarily connect Brocade 5100 switches to new 6510 switches, for the purpose of migration, over a 2 month period. The 5100's are currently on FOS 6.4.3d, ideally I'd like to update them to a FOS level compatible with the 6510's (7.4.2c). However, I've been told by the customer, that they'd been advised not to go to FOS on the 5100's, for performance reasons. They don't have the original reference to this advise. These switches are working in an EMC VPLEX environment.

Q1. Are there any know performance issues when moving a 5100 to FOS 7?

Q2. If the answer to Q1 prevents that upgrade, are there issues related to connecting major FOS levels 6 and 7?

Many thanks

Graeme

Highlighted
External Moderator

Re: Are there known performance issues related to FOS 7 on 5100?

@graeme.warsop

--->>>.....that they'd been advised not to go to FOS on the 5100's, for performance reasons. 

not sure where you customer get such info, but i can give you a warranty this is incorrect.

--->>>Q1. Are there any know performance issues when moving a 5100 to FOS 7?

NO! there no are performance issue beetwen FOS 6.4.x or newer FOS 7.x

in feew word, you can safely start with upgrade

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Great - Many thanks for quick response
Occasional Visitor

When you upgrade, make sure you have a healthy SAN first. Use SAN Health first and fix any outstanding issues. Broken cables, SFPs, etc. can cause back pressure. Otherwise upgrades are normal. Read release notes for upgrade paths.

Join the Broadcom Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resources across the Broadcom Community Network.