For more details, please see ourCookie Policy.

Fibre Channel (SAN)

flb
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

56 domain IDs in a fabric

Hi,

I'm aware that domain IDs in a fabric can have values between 1-253.

However in scalability matrix for either FOS 7.x or 8.x , maximum value for domain IDs is 56.

Does anybody know where this limitation come from? 

Thanks!

Broadcom Moderator

Re: 56 domain IDs in a fabric

The maximum value of 56 listed in the scalability matrix the maximum number of supported switches in a fabric (with a certain FOS code, product family etc), and not the largest number which can be used for as domain id....   

The number is the tested limit - for a stable fabric - of switch interconnected (with certain FOS version, type and interconnectons).

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
flb
New Contributor

Re: 56 domain IDs in a fabric

Thanks Martin! I see same figure for both FOS 7.x and 8.x regardless of platform Brocade DCX 8510 / X6 

So 56 domain IDs is the maximum safe number to have in a fabric as it was tested - but would there be scenarious where more would be permitted? Is there a process where Broadcom would validate environments where more could be allowed? Thinking of environments with a few DCXs and lots of 24/48 port switches i native mode (overall under the 6.000 ports limit)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.