Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

5300 setup help

HI, I am looking for some help with a 5300 FC switch.  A company was nice enough to donate a 5300 (80port active) switch to us to replace our older Qlogic 4GB 5600 switches.  With the 5600 switch by deafult every port saw every port, which is how I want to setup the 5300.  But I am having problems getting that accomplished with the 5300. I can plug storage and HBA's into the 5300 and get link lights, but they don't see each other (they are all 4GB connections btw).  I did a zonedef --allaccess, rebooted and no change.    Does anyone have an tips that could help me out?  I'm far from a FC expert and feel like I am getting in over my head on this one.

Thanks,

Scott

Occasional Contributor

Re: 5300 setup help

Hello Scott,

To give you the correct steps to get all devices to see each other I would have to know the current FOS version on the 5300.  What license are loaded on this 5300?

Regards

Exension_Guy

Peter O'Brien
Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Attached are the licenses it has.  I've made a little headway in editing zones, but am still a little confused.  IS there a way to enable zones without a device connected for "future" expansion?  Say I want ports 1-10 to be storage ports and 11-20 to be HBA ports, even though I only have storage devies connected to ports 1-5 and HBA's connected to the ports 11-15.  Can i create a zone that allows devies to be connected to 6-10 and 16-20 at a later time even the they aren't present when creating the zone?

Ideally, I would like to have a zone where all of ports 1-31 are for storage and 33-79 are for HBAs and they remain active/open

I've been using the web interface fyi.

Thanks again for all your help!

Occasional Contributor

Hello Scott,

You are on to the correct solution. Do you have the current FOS version? You can use port based zoning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebvNhLGWWcE   Sorry about the bad audio on the video, just mute it.

After you finish the zoning please do the following:

Download the SANHealth free application.

Run SANHealth,

Send the encryped SANHealth file to the SANHealth admin email address.

You will get a spread sheet with all the zones.

You will get a Visio drawing of the attached devices.

You will get a data base to compare future new zones.

Regards

Extension_Guy

Peter O'Brien
Occasional Contributor

YES!!!! Thank you so much, that video answered my questions on how to do what I wanted to do.

Scott

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.