Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

ospf w/md5 Cisco and Brocade NetIron or SuperX

Hello everybody, I'm new to the community but I have been working with Brocade/Foundry gear for the last 3 years. I am running into a new problem that has me a little bit baffled. I am trying to configure md5 authentication between a Cisco 6509E and a NetIron XMR 4000 with no success. On the Brocade side I do not find any meaningful information on the debug, however on the Cisco I am getting a "Mismatch Authentication Key-Message Digest Key 1" .

I verify and the key is correct. Without any authentication the links work just fine without any problems, any input or suggestion are very welcome.

Thanks,

Antonio

Super Contributor

Re: ospf w/md5 Cisco and Brocade NetIron or SuperX

I think you need to turn encription off. See below from the config guide.

MD5-authentication key <string>

The MD5 key is a number from 1 – 255 and identifies the MD5 key that is being used. This parameter is required to differentiate among multiple

keys defined on a router.

By default, the authentication key is encrypted. If you want the authentication key to be in clear text, insert a 0 between key and <string>.

For example,

NetIron

(config-if-e10000-1/8)# ip ospf 1

md-5-authentication key-id 5 key 2 morningadmin

The software adds a prefix to the authentication key string in the

configuration. For example, the following portion of the code has the

encrypted code “2”.

New Contributor

I think you are right I just finish reading a section in the manual that mentions something along that line. I guess if you entered a 1 expects and encrypted password and if you enter a 0 unencrypted. I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it works,

Thanks very much for your input,

Antonio

Super Contributor

sorry for some reason the rest of what I said did not cut and paste

The end should have been as below.  Anyway please test and let us know.

NetIron

(config-if-e10000-1/8)# ip ospf 1 md-5-authentication key-id 5 key 0 morningadmin

New Contributor

Well my friend actually from the Brocade side, yes that is the  correct answer, but in the Cisco side I have to specify the message-digest on the area and the interface as well otherwise you will start to see a mis-match error again but a little bit different "type 1 received but we use type 2" , next time will "RTFM" more carefully. Thank you very much for your help.

Tony

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook