Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

lost snmp-server host x.x.x.x IP is there a way to find this information from other switches that are setup?

I was needing to setup snmp on my switch I have the commands:

• ICX6xxx (config)# snmp-server community « secret/public » ro
• ICX6xxx (config)# snmp-server community « secret/private » rw
• ICX6xxx (config)# snmp-server host x.x.x.x
• ICX6xxx (config)# show snmp server

However, our network engineer left the company and we no longer have the IP address.    is there a way to find this information from my other brocade switches that are configured and working?

I tried show snmp,  show snmp server   ect.     really need to find this IP address as its stopping us from being able to montitor all new switches on the network.

Occasional Contributor

Re: lost snmp-server host x.x.x.x IP is there a way to find this information from other switches that are setup?

The answer for this is that you dont have to have the a host IP addresss....

Brocade support everyone pointed me to saying "where is your IP"  truth is you dont have to have one.   all my other working switches was not showing the IP address when I ran the "show snmp-server" because they didnt have it.

Once I realized that I didnt have to have it and just ran my command:   

• ICX6xxx (config)# snmp-server community « secret/public » ro
• ICX6xxx (config)# snmp-server community « secret/private » rw

I was good. My monitoring solution picked it up.  

Also nobody figured this out and even Brocade Support (which I am not very happy with the fact that they moved this to porta rico, and many of those guys have less than a years experience in support) undestood that the 6430 switch gives the information different than the other switches see the output below:

snmp-server community ..... ro
snmp-server community ..... rw

we saw these little dots and brocade support saw these and thought that something was not working but the truth was that is fine and how it works on those switches.

one thing that does still vex me is that when I use the command:

"no snmp-server community public ro"

it actually would add that to the running config instead of just removing it.  that may be for the reason that I need to update our image on the 6450 as it has old ICX64S07400e that may be buggy in that area. 

I think on my 6430 switch after moving to the newer target image of 8010m  that it does not do that.  unsure but in either case this has been resolved.

Contributor

Re: lost snmp-server host x.x.x.x IP is there a way to find this information from other switches that are setup?

[ Edited ]

On icx / mlxe you can run:

(config)#enable password-display 

This will reveal all snmp community strings in the output of

show snmp server
show running-config

and you wont see the ...... anymore ;) 

Regards
Jörg Kost

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook