Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

help understanding SFP+ 10 GB uplink or Stacking ports

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys,

I have another post here with information about my configuration:  

http://community.brocade.com/t5/Ethernet-Switches-Routers/trying-to-figure-out-switching-topology/m-p/85542#U85542

I have basically mapped out a topology for my two access switches and one core switch.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my core switch connects to access switch1(Sw1) by two SFP+ 10 GB ports.

In addition:

My core switch also connects to acces switch2(Sw2) by one SFT+ 10 GB port.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know much about the SFP+ ports.       Do I think of them just as normal faster ports when used to connect two different switches?

What I am after is that currently they have spanning tree setup on them.  however both the SFP+ ports are in up and forwarding status between the core switch and the access switch1.   I would have thought that spanning tree woudl have blocked one of these ports but both are up. 

It may well be because spanning tree is actually using a per vlan spanning tree and in that case maybe they are using both ports and for that reason is not having to worry about looping issues?

My goal is to upgrade to Rapid Spanning Tree and make sure that the core switch is the root bridge.    I want to make sure I dont degrade my performance and only increase the performance. 

I am not familiar yet with the commands to see if the 10Gbps  are eaching only allowing certain vlan traffic and making use of both.

Also I find it strange that these are not called trunk ports as they seem to be functioning as a trunk port.

Anyway if I could get a good understanding of these and how they work so that I can get to my goal that would be great.

I did find another link on the forums:  http://community.brocade.com/t5/Ethernet-Switches-Routers/Anyone-know-what-an-quot-uplink-port-quot-really-is-ICX6450/td-p/58292

This portion by Ichan made some sense: "In ICX6450, slot 1 are all 1 G ports, normally used to connect other switches/router, and network devices, slot 2 has 4 ports default to 10 G, with 1/2/1 and 1/2/3 enabled when shipped, and 1/2/2 and 1/2/4 ERR-DISA requiring POD license to function.These four 4 GbE ports can be stacking ports or data ports."

However over all I feel like I am  still missing some answers and dont have enough data to achieve my goals.

Thanks for sharing!

I dont know if this is needed or not but here is a closer look at one of the ports on the core switch.

------------------------------

CoreSwitch>show interfaces ethernet 2/3/1
10GigabitEthernet2/3/1 is up, line protocol is up
  Hardware is 10GigabitEthernet, address is xxxx.xxxx.8a64 (bia xxxx.xxxx.d92f)
  Interface type is 10Gig SFP+
  Configured speed 10Gbit, actual 10Gbit, configured duplex fdx, actual fdx
  Member of 8 L2 VLANs, port is tagged, port state is FORWARDING
  BPDU guard is Disabled, ROOT protect is Disabled
  Link Error Dampening is Disabled
  STP configured to ON, priority is level0, mac-learning is enabled
  Flow Control is enabled
  Mirror disabled, Monitor disabled
  Not member of any active trunks
  Not member of any configured trunks
  No port name
  MTU 1500 bytes, encapsulation ethernet
  300 second input rate: 392 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
  300 second output rate: 177064 bits/sec, 116 packets/sec, 0.00% utilization
  12030913 packets input, 1091442663 bytes, 0 no buffer
  Received 10120 broadcasts, 12020793 multicasts, 0 unicasts
  0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 ignored
  0 runts, 0 giants
  1355672804 packets output, 531494646785 bytes, 0 underruns
  Transmitted 583751608 broadcasts, 770265308 multicasts, 1655888 unicasts
  0 output errors, 0 collisions
  Relay Agent Information option: Disabled

Egress queues:
Queue counters    Queued packets    Dropped Packets
    0          1177542713                   0
    1                 282                   0
    2                 215                   0
    3                   4                   0
    4                   9                   0
    5            78450625                   0
    6            99679049                   0
    7                   0                   0
CoreSwitch>

-----------------------------

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook