Ethernet Switches & Routers

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

copy flash flash secondary - Do I need to reboot?

Hey Guys, 

This is a quick one; I need to copy secodnary flash to primary but need to know if I need to reboot after the copy? I just need to know because location down time is very limited.

Thanks. 

Brocade Moderator

Re: copy flash flash secondary - Do I need to reboot?

Hi,

For the copy command itself no downtime is required

If you want to use boot using the version you have now copied to primary downtime will be required to reboot the switch

Also if you want to boot from the image on primary ensure that you have boot system flash primary in configuration, this should be default anyway as long as you have not set boot system flash secondary

Hoe this helps

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Mick,

I'm currenlty booting from primary and this is my flash config:

Compressed Pri Code size = 28737732, Version:08.0.30jT211 (SPS08030j.bin)
Compressed Sec Code size = 31662276, Version:08.0.30fT213 (SPR08030f.bin)
Compressed Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.06T215
Code Flash Free Space = 1820590080

After I've updated the primary image, I forgot about the secondary. I just want to copy primary into secondary. 

From what I undertood, I will NOT need to reboot if I only need to copy primary into secondary?

Thanks.

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

Correct no reboot required

Regards

Mick

If my response has solved your query please click the "Accept as Solution" button.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider.
Frequent Contributor

What everyone said is correct.

That said, I want you to take notice that if you copy the primary into the secondary it is not only newer SPS08030j.bin is not only newer, but SPS08030j.bin the "S" is for "switch" and it is Layer-2 Firmware.

You would be removing the code that allows Layer-3 Routing notice the "R" SPR08030f.bin

That is most certainly NOT a bad thing if this is just setting in a network closet perhaps with some trunked VLANs, and you could always download it and re-send it Layer-3 Code, but I just wanted to throw that out there.

Right now as it stands, you could essentially erase it and at the glogal configureation (config)# prompt send it a boot system flash secondary to change it to the Layer-3 code if you wanted to re-configree/re-purpose it to be a router.  I am NOT saying this is the case, but it is just something to keep in mind.

Also the 08.0.30 Code Base is up to "K" now on the ICX 7250. as well as 08.0.40 branch if you want that.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks NETWizz; I had to downgrade this switch to L2 by design. Figured I'll match the config on the flash, as a good practice, since this is just a simple VLAN switch.

But I appreciate the note.

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor

No worries.  Another one is that you really have version K available if you want to go to that code...  Additionally, there is an 08.0.04 branch.

copy tftp flash <ip of tftp server> ICX64S08030k.bin primary  (substitutue the proper file... this one was for an ICX64xx)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook