Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

auto-cost reference-bandwidth command (OSPFv2)

In all documentation I can find on the Brocade site, Everything seems to indicate that the defualt reference bandwidth is 100 Mbps. Is this really correct? This would mean that a 100Mb link is treated the same cost in OSPF as my two 40Gbps LAG links. I would say that the traffic should definately try to take the faster 80Gig link as opposed to the 100Meg or 1 Gig links. But this seems to suggest they will see both these links at a cost of 1 for directly connected links like this. I am thinking of setting this auto-cost Reference-bandwidth to something around 400,000 network wide. This involves changing around 100 routers on my campus. I want to ensure I am reading the documentation correctly though before I do this. It seems to be the case when I run the cost metrics in the CLI on my routers though. All the costs are very low (single digits) all around campus regardless of their speeds. I would think I would want to change this moving forward though as we deploy the 40 Gig Fabric links and enable routing through the fabric. I want those faster links to look more desirable correct? 

Brocade Moderator

Re: auto-cost reference-bandwidth command (OSPFv2)

Hello Brandon,

Please find answers inline to your questions.

1) In all documentation I can find on the Brocade site, Everything seems to indicate that the defualt reference bandwidth is 100 Mbps. Is this really correct?

Yes. Meaning that all link faster than 100M are equal in cost.

2) I would think I would want to change this moving forward though as we deploy the 40 Gig Fabric links and enable routing through the fabric. I want those faster links to look more desirable correct?

This is true. Although 400,000 (i.e 400G) seems a bit steep.

As you mentioned, you will need to apply the new reference to all OSPF routers.

Hope this helped addressing your concerns

Regards,

Os

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers.

All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution" .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.