Ethernet Switches & Routers

N/A

Weird autonegotiation issue.

We have several Brocade Fastiron SuperX, with SX-FI424C modules running 7100 code that has been up for 300+ days.

One weird thing with them is, a few of these SuperX starts developing issue where certain ports on the SX-FI424C stop doing autonegotiation at 1000 Mbps, and became 10 mbps full duplex, even though the cable is fine, and the server has autonegotiation enabled.

We noticed that this autonegotiation issue happened on either Broadcomm NIC, or Intel NIC on the server side, which indicate the issue is with the switch (or cable).

When we rebooted the switch (and also upgraded firmware to 7200), the switch port became "healthy" again, and negotiate at full 1000 Mbps.

Has anyone seen this weird behavior?

I looked into the release notes for 7200, 7200a, and 7200d, and none of them shown any bug fixes for this auto-negotiation weird behavior.

Super Contributor

Re: Weird autonegotiation issue.

hi phxby2,

On our SX1600 we had lots of different erors/issues with 7.100, 7.2.02d seems to have fixed most if not all of the issues.  We are still seeing if we can back to 200+days under 7.2.02d so far so good.

Side question, are you using hitles failover with 2 management cards?

Thanks

Michael.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Michael,

>>Side question, are you using hitles failover with 2 management cards?

Anything special behind your question?

I do use this.

Cheers

Karlheinz

Super Contributor

Hi KarlM,

No, just that is where I have seen lot of issues in version 7.1.x and 7.2.0x.

We went from Version 4 to 7 so we could use hitless failover/hitless reload.  Starting seeing errors on ports and high CPU with nothing showing in show proc cpu.

Also second management card under 7.1.? (cannot remeber what build) would keep reloading and attempt to re sync.

After about 1 week the whole unit would lock up and require a phyical power cycle.

However under the latest code 7.2.02d CPU almost allways shows the expected vaule and matches show proc cpu to a point.  We have been up for 45 days so far.

I did remove all sflow of the box and need to readd that back in though.

Thanks

Michael.

Frequent Contributor

Hi Michael,

v72xx seems to be the worst software version every available for FSX so far.

I run into >10 big issues with this.

If you would like to know more abuot... please email me.

Thanks

Karl

Super Contributor

Hi Karl,

I am only refering to the D release, I too found and run into lots of bugs from version 7.0.0 up to and including 7.2.02b.  However under 7.2.02d my issue have been resolved.  Anyway I will email to find out more.

Thanks

Michael.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook