Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

Weekly Link Sharing - OpenFlow

Looking ahead to 2012, one of the top trends and predictions for networking in the coming year is the increasing prominence of OpenFlow. It is easy to dream on the possibilities of OpenFlow (see this link for a brief introduction of the technology), but that potential is moving closer to reality as standards become more defined.

Software-defined networking (SDN) is getting more and more buzz, and the possibilities that technologies like OpenFlow provide are a big part of that. OpenFlow, which just received an update, could rehaul the networking market and provide significant cost savings for service providers. It is certainly not a panacea for every problem ever, but there is a lot of exciting potential there, end-to-end in the network.

We here at Brocade are enthusiastic about OpenFlow and SDN, and I, for one, am looking forward to seeing predictions come true. I'm curious to hear what your thoughts on SDN and OpenFlow are, since, as with any look to the future, there are believers and non-believers; well-wishers and those who, well, do not exactly hope for its success.

If you have a topic you would like for me to explore, let me know! I hope you happy a wonderful holiday!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Download FREE NVMe eBook