Ethernet Switches & Routers

jlh
New Contributor

Vlan creation on a FASX448 with an older OS

Hi,

I'm not a network savy person but I have configured a few cisco switches a few years back.  We inhereted a foundry FESX448 switch running ver 07.4.01T3e5.  We have a cisco 3750 (L3) that has ports 1-4 trunked with 4 vlans and it's feeding into ports p1-4 on the X448 (L2).

I configured p1-4 as trunked ports and it looks as follows from the sho run:

trunk ethe 1 to 4

port-name "VLANS 192-195 e1-4" ethernet 1

!

I've been trying to create only one vlan on this beast for testing, and every trick I know has failed.  I did the following to create a 14 port vlan of 12 untagged ports  and 2 tagged ports (the trunked ones).

vlan 101 name SERVER by port

tagged the 1 to 4

untagged ethe 9 to 21

ip-subnet 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0

!

NOTE:  I'm putting in false info for my vlans.

Now, after reading it looks like what this is suppose to do is pull all traffic in the 10.10.10.0/24 vlan out of my trunked ports from the cisco switch.   the trunk is actually carrying 4 subnets, so my goal is to carve up the switch into 4 pieces using the tagged ports e1-4 in each of the vlans.

I did this and stuck a laptop on p17 and configured an ip of 10.10.10.10/24 and nothing is pingable.   

A show span command shows e1-4, and p17 in the forwarding state.

I configured int e 17 to be enabled and to  auto negotiation.   A sho run shows:

interface ethernet 17

port-name SERVER

spanning-tree 802-1w admin-edge-port

!

Any suggestions you could make to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

thanks.

jlh
New Contributor

Re: Vlan creation on a FASX448 with an older OS

Ok....

For anyone who's interested.  The solution turned out to be that I needed to use the vlan ID's defined on the L3 (Cisco 3750) switch and not create my own and try to assign an ip-subnet.

Everything else was the same and now things work.....

Frequent Contributor

Re: Vlan creation on a FASX448 with an older OS

HI @jlh,

Thanks for coming back and posting the solution!

Dennis Smith
Manager Brocade Communities
@DennisMSmith

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook