Ethernet Switches & Routers

Video: Firmware Upgrade From a TFTP Server

by on ‎06-20-2016 07:50 AM - edited on ‎03-20-2017 09:35 AM by Community Manager (1,347 Views)

This video will explain the process of how to upgrade the firmware on Brocade campus switches from a TFTP server.

Video Transcript:

0:00 – This is a brocade campus feature explainer series and I’m Terry Henry this

0:03 – time around we're going to talk about how to do firmware upgrades from a tftp

0:07 – server on your device

0:09 – so the first thing we want to know is what version were running and what's in

0:16 – our what's in our flash right now so if I do a show version

0:19 – I'm going to see that I am booted from the primary flash with version

0:25 – spr08040.bin so this is router code the R tells me it's router and I

0:32 – and I booted it from the primary flash

0:34 – we can also see that my boot code here is 10106

0:39 – so 10.1.06 is my boot code or sbz10105 is the filename there

0:46 – so that's what I'm running and then if I look at my flash

0:52 – I have SPR08040.bin router code my primary flash and switch code in

1:00 – my secondary flash but they're both the same version and then I have only one

1:03 – version of boot code which again is 10.1.06

1:07 – so the first thing to upgrade is the boot code and boot code rarely changes so you

1:13 – don't always do that as well as POE code in some cases but very very rare these

1:18 – changes but you need to refer to the release notes to make sure if you should

1:22 – or should do not need to upgrade that code it's often quite important if it if

1:27 – there's a change big enough to warrant it

1:29 – so we'll copy and we can copy so we can copy from the USB Drive I can copy from

1:34 – flash to

1:36 – tftp or from flash - flash etc from SCP or from tftp so we're gonna so this is

1:43 – the source so we're coming from tftp and then the destination

1:48 – we copy to flash we can copy a license file we can be system manifest

1:52 – we're going to do flash here and then the IP address of your tftp server

1:58 – 192.168.1.58 in my case and then the file name so I don't need to do boot code in this

2:04 – case but I will show you how boot code is done so its

2:08 – 10106.bin  to bootrom

2:19 – so it's going to copy that my tftp server and then it's going to copy

2:26 – it's going to sync that image to the flash so it's saying don't switch

2:30 – over powered on the switch and if this was a stack it would do all the devices

2:34 – in the stack all at once but in this case I only have one

2:37 – so there's that done and then secondly what I want to do is copy

2:43 – tftp to flash the again the IP address of my PHP server 1.58 and then the code

2:50 – that I'm upgrading so SPR08040a.bin and the recommended procedure is to

2:59 – upgrade the flash that you did not boot into last time so I booted from

3:03 – primaries all upgrade my secondary flash temporarily read the device into

3:08 – secondary if the if the device comes up and works appropriately

3:13 – then we'll copy from the secondary to the primary if it doesn't if it crashes

3:18 – or something happens to the device while it's booting up off secondary it will

3:22 – boot itself back to the primary without you having to have any user intervention

3:27 – so what we're going to do is we're going to copy this new code which is

3:30 – just a patch release

3:31 – it's the a patch release on 08040 and we're going to put it into secondary

3:41 – so it's a it's a fairly big file it will take a few minutes

3:45 – again you know that the POE version almost never changes

3:50 – but it's you know you should refer to the release notes as well as your boot

3:55 – file again rarely changes but if either one of those change its going to be

4:01 – important enough that that you should certainly do them but for the most part

4:05 – the only thing that needs to be upgraded is either the the switch or router code

4:09 – depending on working on when you're running and usually from the factory

4:13 – you're going to get a switch code in the primary flash and router code in the

4:17 – secondary depending on the model of course in MLXe for example doesn't

4:21 – have switch code it only has rather code but for the ICX is you are going to

4:26 – you're going to have a primary and it's a primary switch in the primary and

4:31 – router in the secondary

4:33 – so again it loads to buffer off of the tftp server so that's completed now and

4:38 – then it sinks the image to flash so it's syncing my individual unit and if it was

4:44 – a stack it would sink to all of the device in the stack just buy this one

4:49 – command

4:49 – so this takes a few minutes and then when we're done

4:54 – the next thing we need to do we're just going to do a boot system flash

4:58 – secondary not in config mode though just you want to be in global user exec mode

5:04 – are privileged exec I should say you want to do the boot there in that so

5:10 – that will just be a temporary one if you put it into the config file into a right

5:13 – man

5:14 – then it's always going to boot off the secondary flash and that's not what we

5:17 – want to achieve so so that is completed

5:23 – so the last piece of this we're just going to do a copy out so we're going to

5:28 – do a boot system flash secondary right to temporarily built into the secondary

5:36 – flash so you'll notice I'm not in config mode and then when the system comes back

5:40 – up

5:41 – assuming the system comes up fine you're going to do a copy from flash - flash

5:48 – and then the destination so you're going to go into the primary flash right

5:52 – because we're booted from the secondary

5:54 – so you're going to you're going to put that into the primary

5:57 – so that's it for this time

6:13 – and there we go thanks for joining

Comments
by Ananth123
on ‎12-30-2016 07:31 AM

Thanks.