Ethernet Switches & Routers

Video: Collecting a Show Tech-Support

by on ‎06-20-2016 07:46 AM - edited on ‎03-20-2017 09:41 AM by Community Manager (981 Views)

In this video, we'll cover how to collect and customize a Tech-support file from Brocade campus switches.

Video Transcript:

0:00 – Welcome to the Brocade campus feature explainer series I'm Terry

0:03 – Henry in this episode we're going to have a look at the show tech-support

0:07 – command and a few of the parameters to go with that

0:10 – so the first thing is showtech is a humanly readable output right so you can

0:18 – you need to capture this file or if you scroll back buffer is big enough

0:22 – obviously you can cut and paste it but I highly doubt it is so you're generally

0:27 – going to have to capture that file so I’m using putty here

0:29 – and so in my particular case and you can go to change settings on putty and under

0:36 – logging you can you can choose a file so we're going to do all session output and

0:42 – then we're going to call it you know show tech doesn't really matter

0:47 – router1 . text call it whatever you want and apply that so it's now going to log

0:54 – all of my output to a text file and you know obviously whatever you're

0:58 – using for a client

1:00 – those settings will be different but putty is what I happen to use most of

1:03 – the time now and it's fairly straightforward so then we want to

1:09 – run the showtech command or show tech-support so show tech-support is

1:15 – really just a combination of many show commands

1:19 – it's you know as I said you could run all these commands by yourself and it's

1:24 – humanly readable but this is just an easy format so if a tech ask

1:28 – you to run one or if you want to run one and get a whole bunch of output you can

1:31 – you can go through you know you can do it that way so you can run just show

1:36 – tech-support and hit enter or you can you can narrow that down so these guys

1:41 – are not going to add additional detail they're just going to be specific and

1:46 – what you want to capture so if I

1:47 – for example did a show tech-support and just hit enter here it is going to give

1:52 – me a huge amount of information right so that was pretty quick

1:57 – one thing I should point out is you should do this from telnet or SSH not

2:02 – from console so you saw how fast that ran right that ran the whole show a show

2:06 – tech-support output in a couple of seconds

2:09 – if I do that same thing from console here let me just clear my terminal

2:15 – so if I do a show tech-support from console CS see how slow that's running

2:21 – it's going to take you know five minutes maybe 10 minutes maybe more on a big

2:25 – chassis to run that showtech output whereas it only takes you know a few

2:30 – seconds to run it up from a telnet or SSH session so that's highly recommended

2:35 – obviously you know if your cpu's mashed up and you can't get to the box then you

2:39 – need to do it from console but for the most part you know you want to do that

2:43 – with remote access

2:44 – ok so we can also narrow that down so we can do a show tech-support say cpu right

2:50 – if we wanted to look at just a few parameters

2:52 – now those ones are going to page as well right so you see at the bottom here it's

2:57 – showing me the more command and you can hit space or return gives you line by

3:01 – line and space gives you the whole page if you don't want to do that if you want

3:05 – to turn off page mode you can type skip and skip will disable page mode

3:11 – so when you run that command it's going to rerun everything without asking you

3:15 – to page so it actually ran for the whole thing you just didn't see cuz I ran

3:18 – quickly and then to turn page my back on you to a page and now you're back in

3:24 – page mode so if I run it again

3:26 – now I’m in page mode ok so that's it and then it's going to give you a file that

3:33 – you can you know

3:34 – browse or upload to TAC or whatever the case

3:38 – ok that's it thanks for joining

3:41 – see you next time