Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Upgrading ICX7450 stack (3 units) from 8030aa to 8030d (and also 8030e) kills the fiber uplink connections.

[ Edited ]

I have been attempting to upgrade the image on a stack of switches where I have a an 1GB -SX SFP plugged Brocade ICX7400-4X10GF Module on the 1st and 3rd unit in the stack.

Using the current boot rom, image 8030aa works fine and the fiber connection to cisco cores works. The problem arrives when I attempt to upgrade the image to 8030d (happened with 8030e too). As soon as I transfer the image via TFTP to the primary flash and reboot into it, the startup config is retained but the fiber uplinks cease to work. They retain their configs though. 

The only thing weird I was able to find is if I do a "show int eth 1/2/x" on the dead link, the following line stands out:

Configured speed 1Gbit, actual unknown configured duplex fdx, actual unknown

Notice it says configured speed is 10 Gbit when it's only a 1Gb SFP installed and the speed-duplex 1000-full command is on the port.  My mistake, it still shows configured speed as 1Gbit.

With image 8030aa when it was working, it detected the port as follows:

Configured speed 1Gbit, actual 1Gbit configured duplex fdx, actual fdx

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Occasional Contributor

Re: Upgrading ICX7450 stack (3 units) from 8030aa to 8030d (and also 8030e) kills the fiber uplink connections.

I have not tried 8030e but we had the same issue when we upgraded to d. I've backreved to 8020cb for now.  My connecting devices ranged from 7750/fcx/7450 switches.  They got something broken that made it by Quality Control. 2 - 7450's across a 2 meter jumper won't connect if they aren't both running 8030d.  I've also tried SFP's from multiple vendors(brocade, dell,finsar, ibm,hp, etc). 

I think the only thing that would link up was an fcx running 7202 using a 2 meter jumper. 

I've got a case into TAC and I'm waiting for them to lab it up.

New Contributor

Re: Upgrading ICX7450 stack (3 units) from 8030aa to 8030d (and also 8030e) kills the fiber uplink connections.

OK. So, I was able to get the uplinks working! I had to use the 'switchport nonegotiate' command on the Cisco side. 

Odd that it didn't need this command when the Brocades had the 8030aa image. The links came right up as soon as I added that command to the uplinks. To be concise, I shut down the port, applied the command, and enabled the port. 

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook