Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Unable to console into Switch

I acquired a FWS624-POE. I am trying to console into the device and have been unsuccessful so far. Just a blank unresponsive CLI.

None of my PCs or laptops have serial ports anymore. I am using a usb to serial (male) with a db9 female to female cable to complete the connection to the device.

Device seems to boot up fine. The device power status light is green as well as the POE light. If I connect a device to an ethernet port I get link lights.

My console connection settings are:

9600 baud

8 data bits

1 stop bit

no parity

no flow control

Are the serial cables special? I have come across Linksys/Cisco switches that would not work with a standard serial cable and had a different speed rating as well. 115200 baud I think it was.

New Contributor

Re: Unable to console into Switch

I figured it out. The serial cable I was using had a crossover pinout. So... Having no other use for this cable and I chopped it up and made it a straight through cable.

Frequent Contributor

Straight-Through, DB9 on both ends is what you want.

On the other switches, you are DB9 on one end, with a rollover cable ending in an RJ45 to the console port.

Hope that helps.

I personally just made an adapter that when I put it on the front of those converts its serial port to an RJ45 console port like everything else.

Frequent Contributor

Straight-Through, DB9 on both ends is what you want.

On the other switches, you are DB9 on one end, with a rollover cable ending in an RJ45 to the console port.

Hope that helps.

I personally just made an adapter that when I put it on the front of those converts its serial port to an RJ45 console port like everything else.

Another, wackier option is if you have a pile of the Brocade Rollover cables witht the DB9 on one end, you can connect two of those together with an RJ45 coupler effectively rolling a rollover back to straight.

You would be shocked what works in a pinch

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.