Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Switch recommendation for BCNE study/practice?

Hey all,

I am looking to get my BCNE.  I have my CCNA already, so I can take the Fast Track route with just the CNE 250 course and the exam (if I understand this correctly).  I use Brocade switches at work, but they are some high dollar switches (FESX, FCX, SX-800, SX-1600).  Nothing I could purchase on my own for home lab use.

I am looking to pick up a switch or two (or, if you could recommend how many I would actually need) to add to my home lab to begin training for the BCNE exam.  I would also like them if possible to be capable of BGP routing, as we use that protocol and it would be good to be able to practice it as well.

I'd like to find some cheap(er) switches on eBay that will support that, and the topics I would need to cover for the BCNE.

I did receive answer from Brocade:

The  FastIron 4802 premium would likely be about the best bet for BCNE/BCNP  preparation as an inexpensive used product from eBay. The thing to be  aware of is to make sure it is the premium version, if not it will not  be able to run advanced functions covered on the exam such as BGP. There  is a pretty big price difference between to get the premium version,  just FYI….

These look to go for about ~$400 on eBay.  I figured I would check with you guys too to see if you knew of any other models which would be good for this application and provide these functions.

Also, if anyone has taken the BCNE exam...without compromising anything on the test etc. etc., any advice for study/prep?  I know Brocade is pretty big on using only Brocade-produced study materials.  I downloaded the "BCNE in a Nutshell" guide, but honestly reading that a few times is not going to get me to pass a test.  There are also no printed books offered like Cisco, but I do have some .PDFs.

I also just came across this tonight which I will begin reviewing (Brocade IP Primer):

http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-1826

Thanks for any advice/direction you can give.

- Dave

Super Contributor

Re: Switch recommendation for BCNE study/practice?

Hi Dave,

BigIron 4000 are a 4 slot chassie but will give all you need (OSPF and BGP) and can be found on ebay for ~250.  So cheaper but you need more room (and headphones)

If you know and remember the CCNA stuff then that is your biggest help (since you have done that)

Remember STP/RSTP/MSTP is the same in Cisco or Brocade (talking the understanding of how STP works)

The IP Primer that you found is a very good refresher for you too.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Michael,

What are the big differences between the BigIron and the FastIron?  I looked at eBay, it doesn't look like a BigIron 4000 can be touched for under ~$400.  What does it offer over the FastIron?

This switch here was listed at $269/make offer.  I offered $180 'for the heck of it' and it was accepted.  I guess I've bought my first switch.   I e-mailed them previously and they stated it did have an IOS.  I don't know which yet, find out when I get it I guess.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370484750856&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

Super Contributor

check out http://cgi.ebay.com/Foundry-B4000-FastIron-II-Network-Switch-FI2GM-FI24E-/150562122340?pt=COMP_EN_Hubs&hash=item230e33aa64

Bigiron is well bigger

Bigiron 4000 can do you to 400000 BGP routes in hardware.  Slightly overkill here.  I was just looking at the price and as I saw it for 250... better then 400

Occasional Contributor

Only 400,000?  Most labs I set up have at least 600,000+ BGP routes!!  j/k.  TBH I think that switch might be a bit overkill as you said for what my needs are...

But yeah, $250 is much better than $400.

Occasional Contributor

The FWS24 is another one that has been mentioned.  Any info on this one?  Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

The FWS24 (not the FWS624) is a pretty old box, i managed to buy one a few months ago. Problem is, my box only had a layer 2 image, so i can't practice routing with it... As i know, L3 images do exist for it.

Other than that, it's small, nice and kinda quiet. The CLI is much like Cisco, that's for sure.

Cheers,

Tamas

Occasional Contributor

We have some sort of Brocade support account here at work, I wonder if that will let me get to the L3 image if it doesn't come already on the box.

Occasional Contributor

According to a Brocade employee:

* N8R07126.bin
(Layer 3 Switch code)
* NIP07126.bin
(IP-only Layer 3 Switch code)
Note: Beginning with release 07.1.26, the
N8R image supports IP NAT and rate
limiting but does not support BGP4.
However, the NIP image does still support
BGP4.
* FWS07126.bin
(Layer 2 Switch code)

If you have a login to the KP(kp.foundrynet.com), the software is free.

As i don't have access to the KP, i never tried.

Cheers,
Tamas

N/A

So how did your BCNE test go?  (Assuming you've taking it already!)

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

Click to Register
Download FREE NVMe eBook