Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

SuperX vs Nortel CS1000

Here is our situation:

We have two SuperX for our core routing configured with VRRP-E for the gateway redundancy. Last spring, we chage our PBX to a Nortel CS1000 with redundancy to the both SuperX. Since Novembre, the TPS Election between the Signaling Servers (One in the first SuperX and the other on the second SuperX, on the same VLAN) dosen't work. This election is made over a broadcast on the ports 16550 and 16540. With wireshark, we sse the broadcast packet being sent, but we dosen't see it on the other side...all the other types of broadcast pass fine between the SuperX. We don't filter or block broadcast in any way in a same VLAN..

The compagny supporting our PBX is telling us that it's a known problem with Brocade/Foundry and they will come to proove it tonight by separate the affected VLAN in a separate switch.

We were at version 5.1.00c when the PBX was installed. In august we change to version 7.1.00a following a recommendation of the TAC of another bug. But the problem dosen't stat in August...but at the end of November.

Anybody ever heard about that or have a clue for us?

Regards.

Occasional Contributor

Re: SuperX vs Nortel CS1000

Here is some new information.

If we take the both signaling servers and plug them info a separate Nortel switch. everything is fine! If I take them both into one superX, same network module, same vlan, it's dosen't work either!

I've do some wireshark on both side of each superX, I see an udp packet going out of each sig server on port 16550 to the broadcast address of the vlan (10.0.90.255) but, I don't see theses respective packets going on the other side....

But I see a lot of other broadcast packet passing throught...

Anyone?

Super Contributor

Hi

"If I take them both into one superX, same network module, same vlan, it's dosen't work either! "

When you check wireshark in this setup do you see any VLAN tags in the headers (only thing I can think of that would drop the return packet)?

I think for this one you would be best servered going though he TAC.  As they would know if indeed there is a known issue here or if this is something new.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

The problem is solved, here is the situation :

The firmware 7.1.00a have a bug fixed in version 7.2.00a (bug # 108591) that when you have a vlan with ip helpers configured, the local brocast into this vlan dosen't work in some situation...and the UPD broadcast on port 16550 for the TPS election seems to be one of the situations..So removing the helpers or upgrade to version 7.2.00a are the available fix.

Regards.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook