Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

Spanning Tree on a stack hooked together in a loop

I have a stack of four FCX 648s.  The switches are hooked together in a ring topology using the CX4 interconnect.  Now since it is a loop would you need to run a STP protocol like your Fast Port on the switch?  I wonder as the active controller manages the whole stack and it uses a single MAC address so it would seem that you don't need to run a STP protocol.

So if I say no spanning on the switch am I in trouble?  These switches are edge devices connecting ro compute nodes in a cluster.

Also it seems that setting hittless failover and setting the mac address for the stack to what the active controller is necessary for failback and also to stay away from a spanning tree issue.  Is that correct?

Do you have a "best practice manual on these switches and how to manage them in a stack?

Frequent Contributor

Re: Spanning Tree on a stack hooked together in a loop

Hi.

Please check the following doc here in the communities:

http://community.brocade.com/docs/DOC-1998

Hitless FCX stacking best practise.

If you use the dedicated stacking ports on a FCX-6xxS then a special stacking protcol is managing the stack and the "loop". It is not the common STP which you configure on the FCX.

Hope this helps,

Karl

Contributor

Re: Spanning Tree on a stack hooked together in a loop

Would you not use RSTP as this is faster, if it supports it. If they are in a ring / loop using the correct part you may not need to do anything, On the HP units I have fitted using their casscade module it sets it up for you, then if you happen to add another interconnect in to your stack it will change to blocking,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook