Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

SX800 - Router command missing?

Hi,

We've taken delivery of our new SX800 and I want to start setting it up. However I've run into a problem, the 'router' command is missing and also when I create a new vlan and try to set up the ISR using the 'router-interface' this command also appears to be missing.

Am I being stupid or does this box not support these functions?

Thanks

External Moderator

Re: SX800 - Router command missing?

NOTE: I believe some command are only available in configure mode.

Michael Schipp "mschipp" can give you exact Answer.

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Firstly please check the output of these two commands

'Show version'

'Show flash'

This will tell us if you are running layer 2 or 3 code.

for ISR you need to be running Layer3 code (either base L3 or full L3)

If you ordered the FastIron SX800 WITHOUT PREM then by default you will be running layer 2 code.

Here are the fireware names and what they mean - match that to the output of the 'show version'

SXS0xxxxx.bin (Layer 2) or

SXL0xxxxx.bin (base Layer 3) or

SXR0xxxxx.bin (full Layer 3)

I think in your case you will find the SXL0xxxxx.bin in the secondary but are booting off the primary flash.

To change over to L3 code, from the config term level

sx800(config)# boot system flash sec

sx800(config)# write mem

sx800(config)# reload

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks you were spot on with the firmware images. Loaded the secondary and now showing the extra options.

Is there a way of loading the Layer3 image onto the primary?

Also on my old FastIron 1500 I could enable priority for my vlans by using the priority command but this seems to be missing  on the sx800?

Thanks

Super Contributor

Hi Marc,

Yes you can either copy from the sec to the primary - but then both would have the same code. e.g. from memory something like 'copy flash sec pri'

Or you could and should download the latest firmware if the box is new and copy that to the primary.  If you are running any of the 7.x.x then you should upgrade to 7.2.02d - this is the current version that I am using.  Check with 'show ver'

Also be aware that if you purchased two managment cards for redonedency then you need to enable that as it is not by default.

As for the priority - for what?  STP? QoS? Sorry lots of different priority can be set.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I will attempt to copy the code to the primary and also do a firmware update.

I shall also enable the 2nd management card as I do have one.Thanks for letting me know as I would of missed this!

Sorry I should of said, this is for QoS priority. I have 2 VLANs (2 and 101) I want VLAN QOS Priority to 3 and VLAN101 Priority to 7.

Many thanks

Super Contributor

Hi Marc,

Happy to help mate.

I should say the second management card is and will be use in the event of a hardware failure.  But if you want hitless failover then that is what needs to be enabled.

from config term

type 'hitless-failover enable'

For the QoS priority

go to the interfaces that are members of the VLAN 101

e.g. if you have all ports on slot 4 assigned to

BR-SSH@SuperXCore(config)#inter eth 4/1 to 4/24
BR-SSH@SuperXCore(config-mif-4/1-4/24)#pri
  priority                      Priority
BR-SSH@SuperXCore(config-mif-4/1-4/24)#priority 7

this sets the 802.1p value that then gets mapped to diffserv.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks again.

So can you no longer do QoS priority at VLAN level then?

On our old 1500 we had the QoS priority set at VLAN level - I've attached a screenshot.

Super Contributor

Hi Marc,

There is no way to assign QoS priority by VLAN that I know of anymore.  Had a look in the config guide but could not find anything or that.  I have our VoIP VLAN set to pri6 but I did this on each interface.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

No problem, thanks for clearing that up I just wanted to make sure before I started setting it up.

Thanks for your help, you've been very helpful. You should get a medal or something!

Regards,

Marc

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook