Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

[SOLVED] Cant add VLAN on tagged ports?

Dear colleagues,

i have a FESX-424-PREM as a L3 BGP border ( only default route + my network announce, nothing special), and i cant add an a VLAN to tagged ports that re already have some vlans, after im trying to add some unused port its look ok, but when i try to add this vlan to port that already configured and alive - its fail whith no err message, in logs there is a record that a vlan have been deleted from console session:

SSH@border-ba1(config)#vlan 4015 name pantel_test by port
SSH@border-ba1(config-vlan-4015)#tagged ethernet 20     <<<<< port 20 isnt used, here vlan goes ok
Added tagged port(s) ethe 20 to port-vlan 4015.
SSH@border-ba1(config-vlan-4015)#tagged ethernet 5      <<<<<< port 5 and 7 have some tagged vlans, but i     cant add next tagged vlan to it
SSH@border-ba1(config-vlan-4015)#tagged ethernet 7
SSH@border-ba1(config-vlan-4015)#exi
SSH@border-ba1(config)#sh logging
Syslog logging: enabled (0 messages dropped, 0 flushes, 14 overruns)
     Buffer logging: level ACDMEINW, 150 messages logged
     level code: A=alert C=critical D=debugging M=emergency E=error
                 I=informational N=notification W=warning

Dynamic Log Buffer (150 lines):
Feb  9 18:22:49:I:VLAN: Id 4015 deleted by  from console session
Feb  9 18:22:49:I:VLAN: Id 4015 added by  from ssh session
Feb  9 18:22:45:I:VLAN: Id 4015 deleted by  from console session
Feb  9 18:22:34:I:VLAN: Id 4015 added by  from ssh session
Feb  9 18:19:40:I:Security: SSH login from src IP 193.85.210.14, src     MAC 88e0.f3b9.22cd to PRIVILEGE EXEC mode
Feb  9 18:18:37:I:Security: SSH login by admin from src IP     193.85.210.14, src MAC 88e0.f3b9.22cd to USER EXEC mode

sh run is in attachement, i've try different VLAN numbers, different ports - result is the same, on unused port its fine but on used port its removing complete vlan definition that i want to add as tagged vlan on port...

Please help.

Super Contributor

Re: Cant add VLAN on tagged ports?

Hi konstantin.suvakin,

This looks like you doing the correct commands.  The only thing I can think of is since you have turned off flow-control on port 5 and 7 that may have something to do with it.

Please redo your test of adding port 20 to VLAN 4015 BUT disabled flow-control on port 20 first.  Let me know the results.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Dear Michael,

thanks alot for fast response, i've try it - on not connected/not used port its not depend on flow-control mode:

telnet@border-ba1(config)#interface ethernet 20

telnet@border-ba1(config-if-e1000-20)#no flow-control

telnet@border-ba1(config-if-e1000-20)#exi

telnet@border-ba1(config)#vlan 4015 name pantel_test by port

telnet@border-ba1(config-vlan-4015)#tagged ethernet 20
Added tagged port(s) ethe 20 to port-vlan 4015.

telnet@border-ba1(config)#sh vlan 4015

Total PORT-VLAN entries: 9

Maximum PORT-VLAN entries: 4095

PORT-VLAN 4015, Name pantel_test, Priority level0, Spanning tree Off

Untagged Ports: None

Tagged Ports:  20

Uplink Ports: None

DualMode Ports: None

BUT, it seems that it have something with alive port, i have try to add new vlan as tagged to other (dual-mode) port  and result is te same, BTW this port have enabled flow-control.
Can this issue have something with editing of system-max values? I have change some of this but not yet reboot the switch ( in attached conf there are values a've changed ).

Occasional Contributor

Yet another note - i've try to shutdown the port and then adding the vlan - result is the same, CLI remove complete vlan definition of the vlan i've try to add.

Super Contributor

Hi  konstantin,

It was a long shot anyway Flow-control should have nothing to do with it.

Ok for changing system-max value, without a reboot, this is more like the couse I would think. I highly recommend you do the reboot as soon as you can..

One for test.  try using vlan number < 32 (I cannot remmeber what the default no of vlan was on that box).

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

I have try a VLAN 28 - whith the same result. I will schedule reboot to 03:00 AM tonight, its a production border so unfortunately i cant do it now. I will let you know the result tomorrow morning.

Thanks alot for help.

Super Contributor

Thanks for the update, and your welcome.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Hello Michael,

im sorry for late response - i've been out of office for a two days. So - result of reload is strange. After planned reload the state have been the same. As you can see - i have changed some system-max parameters for pure ipv4 routing and vlan switching tuning, it seems that i have bad combination of values, because when i have removed all system-max settings and reload the switch - problem is gone. So i have a question - how  can i set correctly system-max parameters  when i need no ipx or multicast traffic on switch, and when i need as large as possible capacity of routing table and vlans number?

Thanks alot for help.

Super Contributor

Hi konstantin,

No problems with the delay mate, these I have used before;

system-max ip-route 128000

system-max vlan 4095
followed by a wr mem then reboot with no problems.
The other I have not used sorry, however I do not think lowering (I guess that is what you are doing) the IXP stuff will matter.  As my understatinf is that there is enough memory to max VLANs and routes.
So I would suggest to just add the above two lines, save and reboot and I think you will get what you need.
Thanks
Michael.
Occasional Contributor

Ok, ill try it as soon as possible, but its a production box, so i will notify you about result when it will be done. BTW - where i can get an SNMP MIB base for this switch? i cant find it in download section...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook