Ethernet Switches & Routers

Occasional Contributor

Replacing a card in BigIron RX4

We have two RX4's in a link redundant state. The "copper" card in slot #2 on one swtich has a bad asic (4 asics per card total 48 copper ports).

Brocade says that we can just hot unplug the old card and plug in the new one and have everything work.

I want to know if this is your experience, if you have done this.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Replacing a card in BigIron RX4

Hi btebo,

Yes have done this many times of RX's.  Though I normaly power off the card via the CLI before removing it.

Disabling and reenabling power to the interface modules

If needed, you can disable power to a specified interface module and then reenable it. For example, to disable power to the interface module in chassis slot 1, enter the following command at the Privileged EXEC level of the CLI:

BigIron RX# power-off lp 1

Syntax: power-off lp <slot-number>

The <slot-number> parameter indicates the chassis slot number for which you are disabling the power. You can specify slots 1 – 4 for BigIron RX-4, 1 – 8 for BigIron RX-8 or 1 – 16 for BigIron RX-16.

For example, to reenable power to the interface module in chassis slot 1, enter the following command at the Privileged EXEC level of the CLI:

BigIron RX# power-on lp 1

Syntax: power-on lp <slot-number>

The <slot-number> parameter indicates the chassis slot number for which you are re-enabling the power. You can specify slots 1 – 4 for BigIron RX-4, 1 – 8 for BigIron RX-8 or 1 – 16 for BigIron RX-16.

Thanks

Michael.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you! This is very helpful.

I've pinged support with this.

I suspect they will say it is optional?

Thanks again.

Super Contributor

Hi btebo,

No it is not required, I just think it is safer. The RX is designed for hotswap and I have done it that way with no problems, just think if there is a safer way then use it if you can.

Thanks.

Occasional Contributor

The card swap went poorly. To make a long story short Brocade support says the card appears to be bad. They remoted in during our maint window and saw some errors on the card they didn't know what to make of. We had to put the old card back in.

Running show module showed that the card was stuck in a SW Load / Card reboot cycle; never showing "Up".

Support was walking us through tftp'ing bin files to the RX4 when they noticed the error and called it off. They also didn't think lp cont-boot sync would work either.

We are sending the card back to Brocade.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook