Ethernet Switches & Routers

Qos for VDI and Voice over Layer 3 Point to Point links

[ Edited ]

Good morning

I need to implement Qos between 4 sites, for VDI running on VMware, and cisco Voice. I do not care about any other traffic on these links - the rest can go best effort.

The VDI infrastructure is primary in London, sitting on a Vlan on a brocade 6610 stack (10.0.0.0/24)

The HK office users need to access these virtual machines from 10.2.2.0/24. They sit on a cisco 3850.

The NY users are on 10.1.2.0/24 and sit on Brocade FCX-648 stack.

For voice there is cisco call manager in London, that both HK and NY phones register to.

Further to this there is a DR site with no users, that also has a cisco call manger subscriber for backup that also needs to be factored into the Qos design.

the topolgy is simple, however the Qos design documents are very difficult to understand.

I see a few posts here of people that have asked for examples - it seems people reply with links to documents.  I have scoured the internet for examples and cannot find any.  There are none in this document:

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/html_product_manuals/FI_08010_TRAFFIC/GUID-9E7942D6-4A92-4967-9B04-D37D293B7363.html

Someone must have implemented a straightforward Qos design, and have the config handy.

This (these) documents are more about theory than implementation.  The cisco device will be no problem - as VMware publish a document for QOS and use cisco as an example, and there are thousands of examples out there.

Does anyone have a configuration for this sort of thing - im talking examples rather than links to brocade documents?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

QOS.jpg

Frequent Contributor

Re: Qos for VDI and Voice over Layer 3 Point to Point links

Hi Contra,

I do not have an example sorry.  However the main thing to remember for Brocade when using stacking is that Q7 is reserved for stacking information.  I would suggest you use Q5 for Voip and VDI, leaving 6 available should something come up that needs highter.

Use the below to set Q5 on the ports you need.

Brocade(config)#interface ethernet 1/1/1
Brocade(config-if-e1000-1/1/1)#priority 5

Thanks

Michael.

Thanks
Michael
Contributor

Re: Qos for VDI and Voice over Layer 3 Point to Point links

Hello Contra,

Did you move forward with this design ? What have you implemented exactly ? 

We might have to do the same type of configuration soon and I am interested to know the outcome of your discussions.

Rgds

Da

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook