Ethernet Switches & Routers

Contributor

QOS on MLX4-e running 5.4f

1. I was curious if by default on a new MLX4, if there as any QOS or special treatment of DSCP values for voice?

2. What is an easy way to make DSCP value 46 have priority over anything else (and all ports) on this router? I have a Nortel/Genband CS15 directly connected to the MLX and several Adtran TA5000's with IAD devices downstream with DSCP 46 prioritized.

Frequent Contributor

Re: QOS on MLX4-e running 5.4f

Hi Brent,

The DSCP value of 46 will map (using the default DSCP table) to internal priority 5, priority 7 (highest is used for control traffic - VRRP/E, ARP, RIP etc).  Default for traffic without a marker (PCP, EXP and DSCP) will priority 0.

However if you also wish force the changed in priority on other ports then you can set on each port a priority value.

Thanks

Michael.

Thanks
Michael
Contributor

Ok so it looks like my DSCP value of 46 already has a priority of 5 set to it without me doing anything? That is great.

However, on my Genband switch, they do not use DSCP values but the following below. Would this matter and based upon my network setup of Adtran CPE prioritizing 46 and the info below would I be getting true QOS for voice or do I need to do something on a per port basis?

DIF  
         DIFC CS5     (I think this is = to DSCP 40?)
         DIFV EF         (I think this is = DSCP 46?)

Frequent Contributor

Hi Brent,

I am sorry but I do not know Genbrand switches at all, I have no idea for them or what the DIFC or V is. 

Thanks

Michael.

Thanks
Michael
Contributor

No problem. They are the company that bought Nortel voice carrier switches.

Thanks for all your help, I just wanted to confirm the fact that by default DSCP 46 is getting priority 5 treatment?

Frequent Contributor

Yep, that is my understanding.

Thank

Michael.

Thanks
Michael

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.

vADC is now Pulse Secure
Download FREE NVMe eBook